Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Question Disck Brakes for 68 Charger

Uhhh i am not sure where to lean here. Lets hear your ideas guys. Ihave drums all around. Want to at least change the fronts to Disck. I know of two kits. One from PST and one from Wilwood. Which one should i use. PST wants $900 for theirs that comes with a master cylinder( do i need it? ) and wilwood's list for $613 from summit, and i dont think it comes with a master cylinder.
Who recommends what and why? Ease of installation is a key point as i just want to use my stock drum spindles and bolt the hardware on. I know each company makes thierts sound the easiest to install, but i know you guys have the real truth. Also, noting is mentioned about wether i can use my original master cylinder, and/or id i need a power brake booster. Anyone go disk all around. How much am i looking at?

Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

Well you're a sheep about to be shorn is all I can say! The Wilwood kit is for drag racing only so stay away from it, and the SSBC kit is almost as worthless.

Master Power Brakes sells a kit currently on sale for $795 that is decent. Of course, it is nothing more than the '73 to '76 A body stuff so why not go to a wrecking yard and buy it for $150?

Go to www.moparaction.com and read the tech archives. I'm saving you hundreds of bucks so I'm sure I'll get at least a thankyou note!

Andy F.
www.ARengineering.com
Old 05-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I definitely would go with Master Power Brakes. Just had some installed on my '68 Road Runner and they work great.

Quality kit, great fit.

www.mpbrakes.com.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:43 PM

Either go with the mpbrakes setup or convert from a '73 - '76 A-body.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

As disc pads wear, the cylinders need more fluid (back fill). That's why the front reservoir on a disc brake master cylinder is larger. Read all about it in the Mopar Action article. I'd get an aluminum one and use the adapter.
Andy, will the AR Engineering adapters and Wilwood calipers work on the street (less than daily driver) in So Cal?
Old 05-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

If the swap itself is your concern, phone around your area. There must be some one who can help you out.

I did the swap onto a 68 charger in my shop last year.

All parts were new, or reman, except for the spindles.

The total cost of the job was only $800 INSTALLED(canadian funds) Thats all PARTS and LABOUR.

Thats only about $550 US money.

There must be someone around you who could do it. If not, come to my shop in Calgary this summer. Give me some warning if your coming, though. Don't like to have more than one classic car in the shop at a time, and right now I 'm finishing up a 61 newyorker, and a 58 plymouth suburban wagon.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

SS, the Wilwood conversion we sell is designed for a bracket racer or a Pro Street type of vehicle. We do have customers who drive on the street with that setup, but I don't recommend it. The Wilwood calipers do not have weather seals and the pads are fairly thin. We also have customers who road race with that setup, Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action runs our stuff on his Green Brick, but once again, it isn't really designed for that type of action.

Of course, there are guys who run spools on the street so I guess that your definition of "streetable" has to weigh into the equation.

Andy F.
www.ARengineering.com
Old 05-05-2002, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

AF, Is the Muttstang 13" Rotor and Brembo Brake package still in the works or is it dead? Thx
Old 05-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

Brembo didn't want to sell calipers so that deal is dead. We'll have a Viper conversion kit available for sale by the end of June.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Inactive User

Andy, a thank you note is about all i can give you and when i say thanks, i really mean it. I did know that such a kit( Master Power Brakes) even existed. Also, to the others who contributed in the tread, thank you.
I will go to the site and check out what is required for installation. No one commented on the PST kit, so i assume it is not so popular. I guess i should stay away from it. Maybe i will get a sway bar from them

Thanks again
Old 05-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Wait, they will have a Viper disk brake conversion kit for old mopars? That would be bad ass to say the least. But I bet it would cost alot.