Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Aftermarket Light Weight Seats......

Thinking of changing out the stock seats in my charger which are VERY heavy,,,, Was thinking of installing some of the Jaz polyurethane seats and covers with the mounting brackets....
Anyone with comments on this setup?,,,ie , comfort...ease of installation,,,,bracket installation info....i see they also offer a "sliding' bracket as well.....does this mount to or go with the stationary bracket???,,
Car is mostly street use with occasional strip action,,,but would like to put the car on a diet...........
Old 05-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

i had a pair in my dart the mounting brackets were very flimzy i dont know if it was just becuase of the installer (cobbed almost everything possible)and the seat was alot lower than the bench and dont appear to be that much lighter than the factory bench
Old 05-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Inactive User

I have Summit race seats in my Duster. I bought the slider kit since my wife will be driving the car occasionally and she is about 1 foot shorter than me. The sliding brackets give the seat almost 8 inches of front andback travel. They mounted directly to the seat, and had studs to go through the floor (the other mount was not necessary). In my application, they worked perfectly for height, and were at least half as light as stock.

The only complaint I have about the seat is that it is on the small side in the "butt department". It pinches my hips enough so that when I race, I leave my wallet in my glove compartment.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Inactive User

Default Lightweight seats

I recently bought the light weight seats from summit racing and mounted them on the sliding brackets they offer for 27 bucks. I really like the seats and the comfort is good beleive it or not.They are wraped on the side a little so they really hold you in, you just can't have to wide of a butt! I know they make nicer seats out there but for the price these are great, The covers are of nice quality also. I also went with the five point harness which goes through the seat nicely,i did'nt use the strap that comes between your legs though, just the lap belt and the shoulder harness.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Inactive User

What do you guys think of the HEIGHT after you installed the seat ??
I like the ride height I have now, and was curious if the lightweight stuff would sit alot lower.....if so,,,any ideas as to how to increase the height......
Think i would also go with the adjustable brace for getting the kids/wife in the backseat
Old 05-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Mine sits a little low, but since I have the 10 point cage hoop that hangs down pretty far I don't mind.

It should be real easy to make spacers to adjust the height up, if not washers could be used.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

I also have the Summit racing buckets in my daily driver '74 Duster. They are more comfortable than I thought they were going to be, although it is different trying to get in and out of them because of how they wrap around the sides. It doesn't take long to get used to though. I mounted the slider brackets onto the stationary ones and it gives me the right height (I'm only 5'7 1/2") I would suggest not getting the stationary brackets as they're made of thin sheet metal and even me at 142 lbs. has crushed them in a year. I'm thinking of trying to find cloth covers after I fab some new brackets.
P.S. They don't slide very far on the brackets, so my kids still cllimb over my center console to get in the backseat as I have a rollbar back there. (the kids are only 4 & 5 yr old)
Old 05-10-2002, 03:54 AM

Ya, I like mine too (Summit Racing seats and covers). I also used the sliding brackets and I also have a '69 dodge charger. Here is what I ran into.

Our floor board is not square. Pull your factory seats and the 4 bolts that hang down will not sit on your garage floor all at once. I mounted the sliding brackets to a 1x1inch fabricated frame. I welded 4 bolts to the frame so they would fit through the factory holes in the floor board. Then I used shims on each of the bolts until everything was level and passed over the hump in the middle (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get into it). The top of the frame is diamond plate aluminium (saves weight, but still strong) and I covered it in carpet. My seats sit in the factroy location and are very comfortable.

I seem to make things a little more difficult than most, so let me know how your set up goes.

Also, after seeing the "Fast and Furious" movie and realizing that my car has Nitrous... I covered the diamond plate with black carpet for safety reasons. I wouldn't want my car to start shooting green bolts when I run the bottle... ha ha

Good luck,

Greg
http://members.cox.net/aultlt1