Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-23-1999, 05:04 AM
Inactive User

Unfortunatly have to replace the clutch due to a leaking freeze plug on my 340. Who are the good and bad clutch companies. The engine is stock and is beat on at times(power shifts and 1st gear dumps). Who makes a clutch that stands up to this kind of abuse. I don't want to replace a slipping looser in 1000 miles.
Old 11-23-1999, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

I PERSONALLY DONT THINK MUCH OF WHATS AVAILABLE AFTERMARKET THESE DAYS, MY EXPERIENCE COMES FROM 20 YRS. OF DRAG RACING. ALOT OF COMPANIES TODAY HAVE GONE TO A THE IMPORT STYLE OF PRESSURE PLATES, PURE JUNK FOR ANYTHING WITH REAL HORSEPOWER AND WIEGHT PLAYS A FACTOR TOO. THE BEST CLUTCHES I'VE EVER RUN ALSO COST THE LEAST, I TAKE MINE TO A LOCAL REBUILDER WHICH I"M FORTUNATE TO HAVE, HE WILL REPLACE THE FINGERS AND ROLLERS ,RESURFACE THE FACE SET THE HEIGTH AND REPLACE THE SPRINGS, WHICH MOST COME WITH ONLY 9 SPRINGS BUT ALL ACCEPT 12 WHICH GREATLY INCREASES YOUR BITE, AND LEG EFFORT BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY ON THE LEG. THE DISK TO RUN IS THE STOCK STYLE CALLED A MARCELL, OR RAG, THERE ARE ALOT OF FANCY DISC AVAILABLE, FROM METALLIC TO KEVLAR BUT BECAUSE THEY BITE BETTER THEY REQUIRE FURTHER DISENGAUGEMENT TO BANG GEARS AND ARE TWICE THE COST. T/O BRG IS A NO BRAINER, BUT REPLACE THE PILOT BUSHING WITH A PILOT BEARING AVAILABLE AT NAPA. MY REBUILDER IS FISH BRAKE AND CLUTCH, TALK TO TOM, IN COLORADO 1-970-243-3636 HOPE THIS HELPS...PRO...
Old 11-24-1999, 12:33 AM
Inactive User

The best clutches I've ever used were made by Zoom,but I don't know if they are still avalible.I've had very good results with Ram and also McCleod.Supposedly the hot set up now is the Centerforce clutch.I helped a friend put one in his ford and the results were great.I'm considering a Centerforce when I put my Road Runner back on the road.
Old 11-24-1999, 05:01 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys,

I decided to use a local clutch rebuild shop. Having the weight increased to #2900(was #2600)heavy duty eye bolts and double rollers and a stock style disk......used them once before on my 69 6 pack RR it would do 2nd gear dumps all day long and still bang gears w/o even thinking of slipping.