Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-12-2002, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

Default Trying to stay loyal, maybe, maybe not

I have three Mopar's in front of the house and I'm not sure I can keep doing this to myself or my family. Dodge transmissions have got to be the worst I am just about done with Dodge do to chincy cheap transmissions in all of their products. It kills my pocketbook to have to buy a transmission after every 20 oil changes. You guys need to do something, looking good and running good is not enough. You need to study inertia and power transfer sizing and get it together!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Trying to stay loyal, maybe, maybe not

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrzndrums
I have three Mopar's in front of the house and I'm not sure I can keep doing this to myself or my family. Dodge transmissions have got to be the worst I am just about done with Dodge do to chincy cheap transmissions in all of their products. It kills my pocketbook to have to buy a transmission after every 20 oil changes. !
Hmm, if you change oil every 3000 miles, then that means you changed transmissions at 60,000 miles? I just got thru changing the tranny fluid and filter on my 2000 Grand Caravan , most of my other Mopars are older ones with 904's and 727's, and my Breeze is a stick. I change tranny fluid on my automatic cars every 30,000 , but I'm just kind of a stickler for that kind of thing. But I have to say, no transmission problems so far. Just curious, what kind of maintenence have you been doing?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:30 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I used to work in a tranny shop. Dork flites are the strongest oem trannys built. They used them in fuel funny cars in the sixtys. If you are breaking them something is wrong. i.e., bad rebuild, throttle linkage adjustment wrong, etc. Don't be alarmed by a little metal in the pan when servicing , they do that.
70 Dart 340
Old 05-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Inactive User

Wifes 93 Plymouth Grand Voyager Tranny @ 65k, Tranny @120k, I'm @ 135k right now and am getting an awfull shifting anvil sounding smack when the tranny shifts up or down. It's not CV joints and I just replaced all three motor mounts. And yes, I to believe PM, I do tranny filter fluid between 30-40K and change my oil every 3k, not to mention a religous bottle of prolong or slick 50 once and a while. My wife drives slower than gramma. I truly feel this is a junk design.

95 Concorde (my daily driver) new tranny @ 70k, I'm @ 135k and praying, because I'm starting to feel stuff going on.

I can't complain about my Dodge Ram, this has been the best truck I ever owned, I liked it so much I bought another one this week.
But, for daily drivers and wife cars I don't think I will buy another dodge even though I do like the 3.3 motors in my other cars, the transmissions SUCK!!!! It's not a lemon thing either, because we owned a 92 caravan before the plymouth and had the same problems. Lord tell me why does Mike @ Ammco transmission know me by my first name, I'll tell ya why....BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO DODGE!!! And I don't know what to say about the funny car thread, but I know I've been driving some funny cars called MOPAR. I have nothing bad to say about the trucks.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:07 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Hey, my bad, I thought you were talking about real trannys. I haven't been in the tranny biz for a while but the early 80's FWD mopars were junk! The biggest problem was the differentials. It didn't help that you had fill the diff separate from the trans. I saw a lot of burned up diffs shortly after the local service station serviced the trans. My advice would be to stay away from all FWD cars.
70 Dart 340
Old 05-16-2002, 11:38 PM

I've heard a number of folks complain about their Mopar FWD transmissions. I would be very interested in hard numbers that show how they compare to those of other makes. Anybody have that kind of information?

Personally, I had a '93 Vision, 3.3, 186,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. I change engine oil every 10k miles (Mobil 1) and I changed the trans fluid with Mopar spec fluid at 100k. That was it for trans maintenance and I didn't have any problems.

Now I have a '96 LHS with 105k and I'll be changing the trans fluid on that soon but so far no problems with it either. Maybe I'm lucky...or maybe your snakebit!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

When you change the transmissions fluid, you have to adjust both bands. If you don't
do that they will fail early. Most shops will skimp on that part unless you stand there and watch them. Most at home services also skip that part for one reason or another.

Dennis Jokela