Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Default Golden Mountain - Mixed Emotions

Went to Golden Mountain Raceway Park. First off, Scott Bloomquist won the race. Boy can that car handle!! My favorite, Freddy Smith was there along with about 6 really great super lates. The rest of the field were local late models. The track is fast and about 3/8 mile in size. The basic layout shows a lot of potential, but it is far from finished. The only thing that is completed is the racing surface itself(although the track doesn't even have a water truck, they use hoses to wet the track) A large chain link fence that encloses the track is almost done. The refreshment stands are not done, just a block building and one kid selling cans of Pepsi for $1. The pits are not layed out very well and there is no pit lighting, unless you bring your own. After dark it is a challenge to navigate your car through the other cars and down the hill to the track. The spectators don't have very good parking or adequate grandstands, but it has the potential to be a super facility.
Now the rest of the story. On my way to Sparta from Nashville via Route 40, I stopped off at Baxter to see how many cars were at Tennessee Motor Speedway. Not one car! Not even one person! The gates were closed! This new track barely 10 miles away, running the same night and the same cars has obviously had an impact on TMS.
Will the Golden Mountain track improve between now and August when it is scheduled to host a UDTRA race? Does UDTRA care about track conditions? I talked with one driver who said that UDTRA would not check the track before the August race and they don't care. I may go back to check before the August race, because if the conditions don't improve, I won't pay $30 to see a race, no matter who is racing.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

We have heard about Golden Mountain, haven't raced there. It is an engine eater right now! Bloomquist had his "little 512" engine in. Freddy Smith and Mark Martin had their 440" engines in. Don't know about the others. One local guy ran the race, turned his new Clements 358" engine 9100-9200 for the 50 laps. The track will probably slow down some as it gets some age on it. Sure hope so. Not many racers can afford to abuse their equipment like that for a weekly show(purse). If the UDTRA race is held there this year, expect Francis to have a 470" Mopar in.

Understand Baxter is closed due to a disgreement between the owners. Don't know the details.