Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Possible spoilers for 66-67 Charger.....

anybody ever seen a rear spoiler on a 66-67 Charger other than the factory type of little lip that probably won't do much at high speed????? The reason I'm asking is that lately I've been getting this crazy idea of participating in the Silver State Challenge(I think that's right) were they close down a section of the highway to allow flat out running.......
Once I get the car running right with the "little" motor in it now I should be able to practice and have it down by the time the wife lets me get the stroker motor in about 2 years.............
Old 05-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Inactive User

Yeah ACME reproductions does i saw it in Mopar Collector guide about 2 years ago it's supposedly the factory version of the spoiler they put on the car's (i personally have never seen one of these Charger's with a spoiler but then again i don't really keep up on these year 66-67 Chargers it was kinda cool looking not very high though more looks than anything i think! but check ACME out don't know how to get ahold of them just search for ACME reproductions
Old 05-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

I personally haven't seen anything other than the factory spoiler and there aren't too many of them floating around either.

To springboard off of PINK71T/A, here is a page showing the spoiler from Acme's site: ACME - New Products.

Maybe you could build on the factory repop piece to get what you're looking for.

I picked up a stainless bracket for my Monster Tach that will go in my Duster. Nice piece, although a little pricey.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:51 PM

The 66-67 Chargers originally came without the spoiler. Running at high speed the race teams found that the back end of the car tended to lift; they put a spoiler on the car which (apparently) solved the problem. Dodge began making the spoiler factory equipment later in the life of the Charger. Point being that the factory spoiler on those generation Chargers was installed because it helped the high-speed handling of the cars, not just for looks. A bigger than factory spoiler may not be necessary to achieve your goals. Those generation Chargers were capable of achieving top speeds near 200 mph (in race trim of course) and the stock spoiler was all the race teams used...
Old 05-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Actually that tiny spoiler really did function at high speed. The NASCAR chargers had a hard time keeping the rear ends on the track at higher speeds so they added that spoiler in mid year and it solved the problem right away.

Personally it's the only spoiler I would put on a 66 or 67 cause anything else would just look wrong.

You really don't need a huge spoiler to get downforce on the rearend. In fact the only reason the Super bird and Daytona spoilers were so high was to be able to open the trunk.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

I said it looked as if it would do nothing because of it's size i know they wouldnt put anything on a car if it didnt serve a purpose!
Old 05-14-2002, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

yeah I know about the repo's of the original out there but I think that $450 is way to much and thought that maybe someone had seen something in the past that had been tried before those repo's came out. I figure another style would only cost about half as much but I haven't priced them yet......
even one of the 2 styles of Go-Wing would be cheaper than that repo and other fast backs have used that style in the past.......
I'll keep looking..... I'm not interested for resto perfect..... I'm looking for Day #3 slick modified..... another reson I'm thinking about different radio antennas also........
Old 05-15-2002, 12:24 PM

$450 is a helluva chunk of change all right!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Inactive User

especially if you think of the amount of material in that little spoiler they offer........