Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Question Tranny puking

Alright, so maybe it isn't THAT bad. But my 4-spd OD manual tranny seems to have quite a leak. I had the car in the garage for a couple of weeks to rebuild the front end, new torsion bars, sway bar, brakes, etc. After that long, I've accumulated quite a puddle from under the trans. I had noticed that it was particularly hard to shift but thought maybe the synchros were old. I guess maybe the oil was low??? Anyways, I need to know where it is most likely leaking from since the whole thing is covered in filth. Any ideas? The bell housing and extension look clean and the drips gather on the back of the main case. When I figure it out, I also need to know what kind of oil to put in it and how much to refill it. I can't find that out in any of the books I have. Thanks a lot guys. I always appreciate the help to keep my mopar on the road.

-Steve
Old 05-16-2002, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

First I would take it to the local car wash and pressure clean the underside. Once the grime is off, it will a lot easier to see where the leak is coming from. As far as oil, I've always used GL5 in my manual boxes with EquaTorques limited slip additive if it's a little noisy or older. I would continue to look around for manufacture recs, but that would be my experience.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

with the cost of another trans, I would buy a trans gasket kit and the seals for the shift shafts on the drivers side of the transmission. Plan on a weekend and pull the trans and replace the parts and you will be fine. Cost minus the time, much less that $50. The oil recommedned for the trans is 90 wt. but you can use synthetic from any parts supplier.