Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Question NASCAR NEWS LETTER: Nothing about Marlin?

Did anyone notice that there was nothing in the last news letter about the NASCAR WINSTON CUP POINTS LEADER? I didn't see anything about Sterling Marlin. There were stories about almost every Chevy driver in competition today though. Jr., Parks, etc.

Am I right, or did I miss something

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Inactive User

That really doesnt suprise me coming from NASCAR they are in my mind just like the WWF all in it for the Money and they don't care what else happens but they have to baby their Momma (Chevy)
they could care less about Mopar's and their Awesome drivers
just look at the History of Mopar in NASCAR and we will see that Mopar's have been shit on all the time "Oh no not a superbird it's doing way to good and because chevy or ford can't build anything better to beat it let's kill it!!!" NASCAR in my mind would be much more entertaining if they still drove STOCK cars not MODIFIED stock cars that have no clear adjoinment to their street driven Namesake i don't care about them being rearwheel drive but i think they should Race the Stock bodies just put a cage in em modify them to be rear wheel drive and leave all the rest of it stock that would be WAY more interesting in my mind well i'll get off my high horse!
Old 05-16-2002, 10:49 AM

NASCAR has their media favorites, that is a certainty. And that "Totally NASCAR" show or whatever one it is that always has Schrader and Benson and M. Waltrip on (All GM drivers!) is EXTTREMELY subjective in their reporting.

The Pontiac Excitement 400 is a perfect example of subjectively reporting race results. Ward Burton led the most laps and was the most dominant car there until the gear box problem. I never heard his name once. He was the pole leader and got the bonus for most laps led EVEN FINISHING 30 LAPS DOWN DUE TO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS! Jeez, Ward must be thinking "What does a guy gotta do..."

It is the same thing when you read anything on the NASCAR website. Only their faves seem to get any press, while their own results scoring tell the real tale of the tape:

Dodge: 3 in the top 10. 5 in the top 15. 7 in the top 20. 9 in the top 25. Only 2 finished outside the top 25 and they had both broken something.

Ford: 5 in the top 10. 6 in the top 20. 8 in the top 25.

Chevrolet: 1 in the top 10. 2 in the top 15. 4 in the top 20. 5 in the top 25. A whole bunch finished outside the top 25.

Pontiac: 1 in the top 10 (Winner). 3 in the top 15. All others finished outside the top 25.

Heck, even adding the GM contingent together they were mightily out-classed by the Ford and Dodge showing. Listening to that TV show or reading the NASCAR articles you would think only Pontiac, Chevrolet and Ford showed up.

The points leader finished 11th and was moving up. He successfully maintained the points lead and even extended it some. I have a feeling if it was J. Gordon or Jr in the points lead they would have been all over that. I guess nowadays hype rules and if you are not hype-able then you get no press for all your hard work.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:05 AM
Inactive User

71 T/A--I agree It would be WAY more interesting if they were forced to run a "stock" body. They could do what ever they need to to the suspension. It would be like the "Stock Appearing " drags. Oh well, you know it will never be the same as it was back in the 50s and 60s, early 70s. NASCAR is like DisneyWorld or something--just prepackaged "entertainement for the masses." And the masses drive Fords and Generic Motors. God forbid that Dodge upsets the applecart! OH no! The Sky is Falling! Reduced Revenues! Oh Lord, NOOOOO!!!!(Dont look, anybody, but Dodge trucks RULE in Craftsman series!!!!) SHHH, dont tell anyone, tho.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Thats OK guys, Dodge is taking over and the SOBs will just have to adjust. No one likes changes, especially the Nascar image propaganda machine. Maybe we just need to make them an offer they can't refuse.