Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Roller rockers

I am slowly gathering info on a street strip 440 build for a 68 charger which I want to run mid to low 12's. I was wondering if its possible to run roller rockers , lifters and cam in the 440 If so who makes these parts ?(I know compcams makes the rockers) Also do these have any advantages over the other choices such as solid or hydraulic setups?? Also should i run oversized valves and port the heads??

P.s I was thinking about running 9.5 or 10-1 compression.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

Roller cams are really expensive and compared to a good solid don't give you very much more perfomance. You can better spend the money elsewhere. The roller rockers are okay.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

I did a lot of research and finally bought th Crane Gold Race roller rockers from Jegs for $309.00. Comp Cams also make a steel, roller tipped rocker called the Magnum for small blocks, for about the same price. They have fully rollerized rockers for the big block called Pro Magnum, again at about the same price.
If you're a high roller, go for Jesl or Harland Sharp - very serious money!!
Tell us about the car????????
Old 05-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Be Careful

Cranes set ups are ify... Seen to many toast rocket arms and bend push rods. Need to make sure that oiling hole lines up (& trust me they don't).

Mopars are Cranes trash.

Hughes make there own - ordered a set and will let you know if they have corrected the problems once they get here.

Harland sharp -Great / strong / expensive... These are needle bearing rockers - be careful here- you need to run chromolly shafts or bye - bye...

BTW - if you are streeting this engine completely roller is the best way to go - I don't like solid on a street car. My opinion...
Old 05-17-2002, 08:45 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I think a roller set up is the best way but also at the same time....$$$...to much unless you reallllllly want it.
The advantages of a roller set are clear. Less friction, steep agressive ramps, higher RPM potetial, etc...
There are cheaper soultions. Yes, thats right. Hyd. or a Solid.
Solids are a little nosiey. Hyd. cams aren't as aggressive. (What a catch 22 )
But good performance can be had from all 3. AND, you can run roller rockers with all 3.
Oversized valves and ported heads work great with larger cams. The larger the cam is in lift, the more the head should be ported. An oversized valve should be used.