Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

Default Anyone going to the Pomona, CA Car meet on June 2nd, wanna help me out?

I am looking for a big block charger or challenger. I heard of the meet going on June 2nd in pomona, ca and heard a bunch of good project cars will be there and i am going to be in town so i am hoping someone with alot of good knowledge on this might be willing to help out a newbie, looking to get his first old mopar. I would also buy that great person lunch for helping me out, plus they would get to see another appreciate person smiling from ear to ear as he joined the ranks of proud mopar owners!
This is in southern california for those not having knowledge of the event.
Please write a message on here or contact me on email at supermanco99@netscape.net
Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 05-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

Default It's a pretty good event

That is where I found my car ('69 Charger R/T). Unfortunately when I went there weren't all that many Mopars. I think the one I ended up getting was only like one of 3 or 4 at the whole event. So you may not find exactly what you are looking for but then again you might, I did. Good luck.

Matt
Old 05-17-2002, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

is this one of those swapmeets they have there every other month or is it youst a mopar only event
Old 05-17-2002, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

I think it is every other month or close to that, but i heard that i should be able to find a "project" car there pretty easily. I havnt ever been before so thats why i am asking here
Old 05-18-2002, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

Default almost all chevy,ford

I went to the April event. There were a few Mopars,mainly C bodies. I was looking for parts though,didn't go through all the cars(100's if not 1000).Great place to find after market entrepeneurs-glass rubber moulding,rims.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

So should i stay down in socal longer, to attend this event. I am looking for a project car so i dont want to waste my time if it is not going to be worth it
Any advice would be great thanks
Old 05-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

well i was told that for mopar and parts its not worth it. its mostly chevy and ford. the one thats really worth it its fall fling in burbank nothing but mopars and lots of project cars at reasonable prices. im not really sure what day it is look it up in your comp under mopar spring fling ...
Old 05-19-2002, 12:58 AM

I am pretty much a regular at pomona and I only see about 3 regular Mopar vendors there monthly. It is sick. There are more Mopars being shown than sold and you can count them on two hands. Fall fling is thee place to get a project, although since it is a Mopar only show, the prices seem to be inflated. Chrysler performance west puts it on, check them out on the web for their Fall fling date. Ill be there. Believe it or not, the Long Beach Veterans stadium swap meet usually held the sunday before or after the Pomona shows has more Moparts because there is about 3 more guys who seel stuff there, mostly Hemi stuff, and mostly hardcore drag stuff like blowers and heads.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:17 AM
Inactive User

Ok thanks for the info, so the chance of me finding a big block charger or challenger is pretty slim i guess huh? I cant believe how much trouble i am having finding a 383 or 440 that is decently priced and at least running so i can get it home. I am not going to tow it home or swap enigne so i guess i gotta wait. The only thing i have found so far is a 383 but is a 71 with over 200,000mi and some body damage. And the guy wants 4400. Everyone said that is too much so i guess i am screwed right now.
If anyone can help then please do.
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-19-2002, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

Have you tried looking on ebay? There are lots of websites with cars for sale.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:54 AM
Inactive User

superman99--Big blocks can be hard to find, especially after 71. They were no longer available in Challengers or Cudas. You had to get a Charger or Roadrunner if you wanted a big block. Big block production ceased altogether after 78. So finding one ALREADY in a car is getting harder an harder to do. Swaping out a small block for a big block is not real hard. In fact they use the same motor mounts, all you need is the BB engine bracket. You may also need a BB radiator and you will need the BB tranny. It all bolts right in.

BTW, as was mentioned, 383 prod ceased after 71 and Chrysler substituted the 400 ci BB. You may run across one of these in a 72-74 Charger. It was a lo compression motor but has gained alot of rspectability in the hot rodding segment. Defintely worth it, considering it's potential.

You know, there's that old saying,"there's no replacement for displacement!" Big blocks ARE fun! I've had a 273, 318, 340( these motors ARE bad--they WILL surprise you) and a 360. The car I have now is my FIRST BB car and I love it--now I'm thinking 500 inch stroker--yeah!

I bought the car about 3 1/2 years ago from a muscle car dealer for around $8000. It is a nice "survivor" from N Carolina that had new paint some "dress up" stuff on it(and a 440). I know now I paid about $2000. too much for it. I was a newbie just like you. So, in short, do your homework!! I did'nt. And had not joined moparchat yet. So continue to use this site like you have been and you WILL find your car!

btw, when looking for a "project car" you want it to be "solid." Look where the body joins the sub-frame for any mis-alighnment or rust--both front and back. Check the floors for rust--interior and trunk. There may be some light rust(surface)--maybe even a little rust thru hole or two. But dont accept anything worse. And be sure to check the shock towers front and rear for rust--you want these real solid! Hope this helps some. Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone, my search continues, with no luck yet but maybe i will find one. Going to socal on wed and searching down there maybe i will get lucky.
Paul