Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-19-2002, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Default what smog equiptment do i need?

Ok, I need to get my 77 d-150 with a 360 to pass cali smog. I just dont knwo what exactally needs to be on there. WHen i bought the truck, it had alot of GM smog junk on it, which didnt fit right (go figure), so i took it off. Now, I have a big pile of smog junk, but i need to know what i need, and what I dont need. also, i have excessive carbon buildup in the motor. should i pull the motor and clean it when i rebuild the transmission. and how woudl i go about cleaning it all out.. kinda suprised too because there are only 35k miles on the motor, unless the truck really has 290,000 miles.. which i doubt. So what do I need? Also currently i have an edelbrock intake, shoudl I keep the intake on there and put on an adapter for the orignal 2bbl carb, or put the orignal intake back on. Thanks again. Garrett
Old 05-19-2002, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

The Edelbrock Performer will be fine so long as you have provisions for an EGR valve. You can go with a 4bbl arb, prefferably Edelbrock #1400 as it has the bowl vent port that you will need to connect with your charcoal canister. You will probably need to clean or replace your EGR and you must have your vaccuum lines routed correctly. Also, you have to use a black snorkel style air cleaner housing, NO OPEN ELEMENTS. This also has to have a preheat hose connected to the exhaust. Since you have a '77, you will probably also need an air pump. These can be good as they can help to hide a mild cam so long as you have a large overlap (108 or better). Exhaust on anything after '74 has to have a functional cat, and you are not allowed to modify to duals, so not a whole lot you can do there. A good way of double checking these items will be by going to your local library and searching for a repair manual on your truck in the archives. A list of all the emmission controls on that vehicle should be in there. Good Luck and make sure you get the precheck before you get flagged as a gross polluter.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:11 AM
Inactive User

I know the exhaust one.. factory it only had a 2bbl carb, never a 4, that was in 78, and it came without cats. I have a factory exhaust on there right now, it is straight back duals.. thought someone tossed in a pair of glass packs, which i wanna ditch for a pair of 40 series flows.. and I know for a fact my truck never came with cats, i looked it up before, and it passed smog 2.5 years ago with the current system (i think they are like 2" pipes). Also remember this is a bone stock motor, besides the intake.. it is a cheapie napa rebuild motor.. so it doesent have much power (compared to other mopars), but works great.

Garrett
Old 05-19-2002, 03:45 AM
Inactive User

To make sure you can get the manifold passed, you need to have a product information label attached under the hood, which shows the CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification number for the non-stock part. Any aftermarket part which has not been certified is illegal, period (on '74 & later vehicles). If you go to a smog tester who has done a lot of modified cars before, he will probably know your Performer is legal. But technically, you still need the sticker.

You're okay without the cats, trucks got them later than cars.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:34 AM

You can ask most any emission testing facility and they will look it up and tell you the exact requirements for this. You can also call a referee station and they will tell you. I've done the referee station in CA before.