Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-19-2002, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

Default need help with shifter linkage on 72 duster

I just replaced my three speed with a four speed in my duster. For some reason I can not get second or forth gear to engage. I think i need to adjust the shift rods some, and i think that would solve my problem with the second and fourth gear thing. But the wierd thing is i can not find reverse at all. Second and fourth are there their just not engageing. But reverse is nowhere to be found. It is a four speed shifter and all the rods are hooked up. I don't know however though if i have them all in the right spots. I'm also not sure how to set the shifter in nuetral. Are all of the little connectors that come off of the shifter supposed to be to the front??? If some one could please give me some help or if you have a link with some sort of diagram if you could send it to me i would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Default Shifter Needs Adjustment

All the shifters I've seen have an alignment hole in the center just above the shift levers. You will need a pin the size of the hole and align the levers in the middle and with all shift arms on trans in neutral, adjust the adjustment ends to fit with no tension on rods. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

thanks i think thats what the problem is i dont have the shifter lined up right so im not getting the gap for the handle to move over
Old 05-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

Allan,

I just replaced the shifter on my 72 Duster 340, and I can scan the instructions sheet and various stuff I have from the Mopar book for 72s if you like and then email em to ya. I found you may have to (adjust) err, pound, smash, bend, the rods to properly clear the trans crossmember, at least in my case, the reverse rod was rubbing the exhaust, and the 1 - 2 rod rubbed the crossmember. Hurst no longer makes the rods for the duster, so hang on to the ones you have.

Bruce
Old 05-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

if you could send me those diagrams i would appreciate it. Also what did you use to line up your shift levers, I think that is the main problem with mine. Thanks Alan
Old 05-20-2002, 04:20 PM

If your shifter is a later Mopar Hurst there won't be alignment holes through all of the levers. The 1-2 and 3-4 levers have holes for a 1/4" alignment pin but the reverse lever doesn't, it is supposed to be aligned by a special tool that centers on the alignment holes and clamps the ouside of the lever.
Without the tool, the 20/20 eyeball will have to suffice.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

The hurst diagrams show using a rod to align made to about 1 1/2" long or so, but I found on mine there really is very little room to get this in, let alone out with the shifter in the car. The diagrams show how to align the shifter just using your hand, at least to get it in roughly. Its quite easy to eyeball it tho, there is a couple of places you can use as a guide once you're aware of where the shifter is supposed to be. it's hard for me to explain, but I think you'll get the idea when you see the pics I will send. Im at work now, but when I get home tonite, after dinner and all I will scan the stuff I have and send them to you. I will send them as jpg attachments. I used to have to struggle to find reverse, and 1 2 3 4 was an excercise in futility. It is sooooo nice to have a smooth shifter. On mine, whoever put it in last time, had the tang for reverse on upside down, it still worked, but you really had to shove it and pray it would engage. The rod was out of position with the tang? on upside down, and it rubbed the exhaust pipe which didnt make it any easier to find reverse. The 1-2 rod was missing the vinyl bushings, and it was really sloppy, as well as rubbing the tranny crossmember. 3-4 was ok tho. I will send you what I have, it should help. If at the very worst, I can get under the car with a kodak, and shoot some pics of how it should look. Once you get it right, you will be so happy you made the switch.

Bruce
Old 05-20-2002, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Alan.

send me your email address, I thought it would be with your profile but I see it's not there. I have the stuff ready to send to you tonite if you get this in time. If not, I will send it to myself at work and forward to you when I get your email addy.

Bruce
Old 05-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Alan,

just in case I didnt put my email addy in the profile for me its

nospambrucebeckwith@hotmail.com

just remove the nospam from addy

Bruce
Old 05-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Alan,

I havent heard from you, do you still need the info I have? Send me your email address if so.

nospambrucebeckwith@hotmail.com

just remove the nospam from the address

Bruce