Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Default Headers?

Alright guys, A little help here?

I am in desperate Need of some good headers for my Dart. Thing is, i am on a budget and need them to last, perform good, and be decently priced. I looked at Hooker competitions, but as much as i drive the car, I am afraid of the rust factor. I also looked at a set of Jet Hot coated Dynomax's for about $50 more, and the design and structure seems to be pretty close. I was wondering if anyone in here had the particular headers I was looking at, and if I coulkd get an opinion. Thanks.

Ian
Old 05-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Headers

Mine rusted within a month, I have the ceramic's going on tommarow, I hope they will last. Just remember ground clearance, find someone else who has a dart and headers, see their ground clearance. I also know my buddie won't throw headers on his dart because they will have to cut into the wheel wells, so take a look at special 'A' body headers. I can't speak much for 'A' bodies, I own a 'B'-body, but thats all I know.

Damn ground clearance dented my pair within 3 months
Old 05-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

i just installed a pair of ceramic coated hooker super competition headers on my 68 barracuda, they look nice and have decent ground clearance, i had to put two small dings in the passengers side pipe cause a ball joint stud was rubbing, my other complaints about them was that it took me and 1 friend 7 hours straight to get the bastards in there, lots of work, tight squeeze, but after all that im happy with the results, but im still not to sure if they're worth $500 after all the hassle you have to go through to get them in there. thats just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:56 PM
Read : Untouchable

Default hmm

i really wish i knew where i found these, but
i have a set of Thorley headers for a small block a-body that i have used on 3 different darts in the last few years.
they don't go under the centerlink like most other a-body headers and they haven't started rusting yet either. i put some cheap high temp flat black paint on them when i first got them 4 years ago and it hasn't come off yet.
they slide in really easy, the tubes go all the way back and than just go straight down, makes it really easy to put them in. sorry i couldn't help you more but i think Doug Thorley headers is where i got them from. only 220 canadian
Old 05-23-2002, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

A Body Headers - bad ones / I should say most of them have clearance problems on the passenger side.

Good ones to look at (my opinion).

1. Doug Thorley (although doug does not own it anymore - wife got in divorce). These are still good.

2. Doug's Headers (This is Dougs new shop) - like these better

3. TTI makes great headers for A Body

All these are on the spendy side but worth the money (fit and finish).

4. Hedman Huslers are good as well - for a production header they are my favorite. $$$ though...

5. I have run a set of ceramic dynomax's and frankly they have fit pretty well and have held up nicely for a $300 set up.

My 5 cents worth...
Old 05-23-2002, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

spitfire headders. I've heard of some people that have had problems with getting them, but not with the design of them. He puts out a good product that fits no problem. You would have to get them coated yourself, but I believe it would be about $185 C.O.D for a set of A-body headers that "you can install with just one hand"

here's a link for some of his work, and it has a contact number on it too.
http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/spitfireheaders/

I was very please with what I got, and in the time that I got them. But, I have heard of others not being so fortunate.

oh yeah.. no clearance problems!!!
no tie-rod removal necessary!!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Go with the Spitfire headers!! I have them on my '70 and they are way better than anything out there. You can install them without removing ANYTHING. The only thing that was tight was the exhaust flange on the passenger side. My muffler shop had to put a 6" extension on the collector to get the flange to clear the torsion bar. You also need to run the 90 deg oil filter adaptor to use the Spitfires. They are 1 3/4" diameter and are a tri-y design. Granted they are not full length headers, but you will only begiving up 10-15 ponies unless you are over .550 lift and run over 11 to 1 compression. I personally feel you could still use them even if you had a seriuos small block. The construction is very good and they are ALL handmade. The gaskets he sends with them are also good (very thick) and the headers have a 3/8" flange on the mounting surface. The tube steel is also about double the thickness of the Headmans.

You can also remove the starter in about 15 minutes without unbolting the header!! VERY good design.

Spending $500+ dollars for headers is silly. For a street strip car you don't need more than the Spitfires.

Don't waste you time with the stupid Headmans are any other header that goes under the centerlink. Total crap.

I bought my Spitfires for around $175 (inc. Shipping). I have pictures if you would like me to email them to you.

Here is the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/spitfireheaders/

Harold Johnson is the guy who builds them. He is a bit slow to send out the headers sometimes, but he is a nice guy who will take care of you. Just send him an email:

poly318hj@aol.com