Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Inactive User

Question ? on 2 bbl carb

I am wondering if anyone here can help me on my 2 bbl carb.I got it put on and it tries to idel but then it will die.What would be a good start off point on the adjustment screws on the front lower base of it? I think one is air and one is fuel.Does anyone have any ideas.Thanks for any help.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:03 AM
Inactive User

Be more specific. What kind of Carb, etc......
what year car/truck/van. Some carter 2 bbl's have holes in the throttle plates to lean out the idle mixture if in fact this is what you have replace with different base plate with no holes in throttle plates. Easy to do. If you have lean burn, replace with a simple upgrade there are web-sites on how to do this. Crank up the idle speed screw and try to make adjustments on the fly. The idle air screws are a step in the right direction also check float level and make sure all carb passages are clean. Keep us informed.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

Default carter carb

The carb is a carter 2 bbl It is in a 1980 dodge custom 150 truck.Where would i get a new throttle plate for it?Thankyou
Old 05-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Big Tuna

Question

If it's a BBD there is a good chance that the holes for the throttle shaft in the baseplate are worn out.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

You can get 2 bbl carter base plates at Carb shops or local wrecking yards. Small block Chryslers are notorious for stretched timing chains. Install a true double roller. I would then experiment with the metering rods and thin out the bottom ends considerably to avoid the dreaded detonation when running to lean. My 318 after a Ignition upgrade would detonate at low RPM's no matter how much I retarded the timing. I then put two equal springs on the centrifugal advance weights. then put a 7.5 Vacuum advance unit on which equals 15 degrees for a total of 34 degrees. Since this is a econonmy carb it runs way to lean for performance. After all this my car goes . 9.0:1 Compression. One last tip get the Mr.Gasket big 2GC to small 2GC and install a autolite 2100 excellent 2 bbl carb.