Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-30-2002, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Traction help

I have '66 Sport Fury 440/727 posi. Currently the car is lowered and won't hook to save its life. Any thoughts on what I need to do? I planned on taking out the lowering blocks and crank the t-bars up until level. Also, the rear end is still the stock ratio. I know I need to go steeper, but how steep?
Old 05-30-2002, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

Lowering blocks!!???!!! Get those pieces of crap off your car NOW!

Steeper gears will make your problem worse, not better. Work on getting traction before you increase torque to the rear wheels. Problem is, there's not a lot of performance stuff available off the shelf for C bodies. Work on all the know principles. Try to get better weight transfer to the rear. Stiffer springs will help prevent wheel hop, you can have a qualified suspension shop add leaves for you, or you can do it yourself if you're adventurous. There are a lot of guys with fast C bodies that can help you here, but you've got to get it back to stock first and then see where you're lacking.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default Traction

What about tubbing, wide booties and if necessary axle shortening? A little extreme maybe. It was done to mine and I hook up right now. Mind you im only runnin a 340.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:27 PM
Inactive User

ONLY? i'm proud to be runnin a 340. mine revs quicker than my brothers 440. the torqe of mine isn't that of the 440, he runs 3.56's in the rear w/sure grip and he can still keep up with me as long as he burns out prior to the run....his 60's don't grab like my 50's...(both are road huggers) but still, i would rather run the 340.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:20 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

1972roadrunner, proud to run a 340. Thats nice. I think littlecampbell will say yea to them as well. However his quote of
Quote:
Mind you im only runnin a 340.
is saying he lacks torque against the 440 in relation to the question ask.
His reply of
Quote:
What about tubbing, wide booties and if necessary axle shortening?
may be extreme...for some, but attemps to solve the problem. C bodys are ruff due to there luxgury nature.
(Hummmm, a tub "C" body. I don't think I remember seeing one up close. Sounds good though.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:36 AM
Inactive User

I'm having traction problems too! I was thinking wider tires? Doesn't more rubber on the floor help?
Old 05-31-2002, 06:35 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Front eye close to floor, MORE rear ride height (increases the center of gravity), 1" longer shackles angling rearward, front segment clamps on each leaf, remove rears one at a time after done testing with them all there, MP drag shocks, or others with enough travel, pinion snubber close to floor with stock type springs, 90/10 front shocks and the lightest t-bar you can find. This should get you close to a workable starting point. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:44 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks All

I appreciate all the replys. Actually the plan is for the entire stock rear suspension to go (4-link, coil overs, tubs, shortened rear etc.) However, I am trying to what I can while saving for the rest. Does anyone know where I can get torsion bars ( other than stock) for my C-Body. All I can find are the A, B, and E body bars, are any of those the same size?

Thanks again for all the help.

Rumblefish, I haven't seen any tubbed C-Bodies either.....I also haven't seen an 8-71 sticking through the hood on one mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

72Challenger just so you'll know, the blocks were there when I got the car
Old 05-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Inactive User

ok rumblefish, got ya... i know the 340 doesn't have the torque (i have to use water for burnouts on streets and my brother doesn't, but that could also be tire width, mine are wider) and my dad doesn't like sustaining 6,000 rpm for very long.... i like my small block though, revs quick and still has plenty of power to get my car rolling.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

That's okay furypete, I didn't think you were the one who put them there. If I seemed a little, well, emphatic, it's just because those blocks will KILL a Mopar's ability to hook.

As for your torsion bars, no, the B/E body ones won't fit at all. I've got an interchange manual, I'll look to see what may be available from a smallblock C body that could fit. Get back to you later about that one.

Since you don't mind doing major surgery, I would say the best thing you can do after stiffening the front halves of your rear springs and finding the widest, stickiest tires that will fit, would be to work on weight distribution. That car is really nose-heavy. Put your battery in the trunk, right behind the right rear tire. Yank the A/C. Pull out anything that you don't need, and what you do need, see if you can move it further to the rear.

Here's an idea, and something else I've never seen before in a C body. Since you're going to be changing out the rear suspension anyway, what about an altered wheelbase? That would really help the weight distribution, and give you a look like nothing else!
Old 05-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Default hehehe

72Challenger, that won't be too hard. I plan on moving the battery to the right rear, don't have AC, but the heater box will probably go. I am also considering a front clip kit to lighten the front, but that will no doubt have to wait until the back half is complete.

Thanks again for all the ideas, keep them coming!!

Old 06-01-2002, 12:50 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

1972roadrunner; Tire width has a play in the part. But your brother (I would be the house) would / could fry up those tires you have just as easy as what he has now. When you drive a 440, you'll soon not forget the diff. Dad's smart.

Leigh; Excellent reply/tips
BigBlockBabe; Yes it would. Question is, how fat can ya get. What will do?
Old 06-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

i have actually drove a 440...when the car was mine with a weak engine, and my dad let me drive behind my brothers back...he is real picky about his car...(don't blame him..)