Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

Post 318 rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 66 satellite. It's out of an 85 dodge van with a 727. As of right now, I'm limited on time and money to try and find a different block that would be more era correct, but what I'm wondering s about the rebuild kits, everywhere I see them, they break the 318 into different year categories, now I know about the 318 poly and how it is slighty different, but can anyone tell me the difference between the 318 from like 66 up to the early nineties? Will any kt work or would some kits work better for my 85? I'd really appreciate tyour help, the city is trying to tell me either get the "junk" car out of my yard or into a building or else they will tow it away. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY BABY!!!!!
Old 06-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The year diff's may be due to piston compressions. I have never had a problem with this before.As far as I know, all the hardware is the same. Save for things like Un-stock sizes gone bigger or smaller, 2 or 4 bbl., cam choices.
Things like type of timeimg chain used isn't really anything and water pump unless it was for an A/C car.
When MOM MoPar sells 318 equipment for 67+ years, they never made a distinction of the years/part diff. Unless it was for a Magnum engine.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

Default Kits

Just finished my build. The only difference I found was Freeze Plugs. I seems the freeze plugs on the heads changed from year to year. I measured mine and bought brass ones from Autu Zone..

Good Luck, Have fun
Old 06-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Chas. City junker law?

Can the city tow your car if

a) It's on YOUR property
b) You have receipts proving that work is ongoing on the vehicle
c) stored outside, covered by a tarp?

I live in Vinton down in Benton County and the only time I have ever heard of a "junker" law being enforced in these parts was in a little town 10 miles away where they guy had wrecked (and I mean essentially unsalvageable) vehicles in his lot posing a health threat. Things like stagnant water, oil and gasoline leaching into the ground and getting into the aquifer, rats living in them, etc.

As long as you can prove you're doing something with it, I don't see how one old car outside is any different than the "town shack" (you know the house: barely standing, not much grass, no paint, etc.). Might have to make friends with a city council member...

Alex Vasquez