Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-1999, 03:28 AM
CobraJet

I am helping a friend who needs to replace the 225 slant six in her daily driven 69 Valiant. She is on a very tight budget, and needs this car to get to work.

The car has 90,000 miles and the engine has developed a lot of blowby, but very little smoke out the tailpipe. I have checked the PVC system and it is not clogged, but is working fine. The engine also has a steady miss, but all plugs are clean. It acts like burnt valves, or low compression in a couple of cylinders-maybe broken piston rings. Am I missing anything?

I am looking for a good used engine, or a rebuilt at a reasonable price. The engine needs to be within 200 miles of Memphis, Tn.

Are there any pitfalls in pulling the engine. The car has an automatic and factory ac. I want to remove the compressor without breaking the refrigerant lines, if possible.

I have removed engines from all types of cars, but never a slant six. Any tips would be helpful.

Are there differences in the 225 slant six from year to year. Will any year fit this application?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-07-1999, 06:30 PM
Ez Eddie

The only 225 differences I know of is after 80 they ran huydralic lifters. You may want to check the valve clearances on the old one because it is solid lifter. As for engines they are very cheap. Nearly a giveaway item in Minnesota.
Old 04-08-1999, 03:16 AM
Christopher

The cylinder head was changed too,from the old design with spark plug tubes,but I can't remember what year.No matter, any of the engines will fit,just check the back of the crank to make sure the pilot hole is drilled if you get a late model engine(this applies only if the car has a stick shift trans.)I'm not trying to be rude or non sympathetic,but if that Valiant is a 2dr and has a decent body,I'm looking for one to buy.
Old 04-08-1999, 08:02 AM
Brian Mills

Engine re and re is straight forward, did lots in the 70's, pitfalls, it weighs more than a small block, you can unbolt the ac and sometimes just move it aside without disconnecting, although I have never seen the leaning tower of power ac equiped. Temporary fix to prolong the agony, remove valve cover, select allen wrench that fits rocker adjusters, start engine, adjust rockers while engine is running, remember, they should make some noise, re-instal valve cover, change oil, fill to add mark with oil, then 1 quart STP. The racers edge will buy you some time to find a new motor. P.S. use more STP if necessary. I have done this and I am serious. Also, you will remove the rad when swapping engine, I have removed engine and trans together, it is tempting to try, but you will run into problems at the top of the rad saddle, this engine is long. Beware of cracked exhaust manifold, or cracking the exhaust yourself. Remember, Im guessing by your name that you are more familiar with Ford, but Dodge tourque converters fit well back into the transmission. People have been known to bolt engine and trans together with difficulty and ill fit, the last thing the tourque engages is the transmission pump, in an ill fit situation, the trans will cook if the pump is not engaged. Everything should fit nicely, sometimes you need to play with the tourque to get it to go all the way in. Do this before re-assembly, you will see what I mean. Need help email b.mills@home.com LOL .
Old 04-08-1999, 02:58 PM
Ez Eddie

Brian is right. STP is a very good way to prolong an engine. I've used it in my 318 enduro motor. Pour it in, (if you can) and the smoke goes away! Richard Petty wasn't lying
Old 04-09-1999, 07:48 PM
CobraJet

Thanks for all the advice, folks. This will definitely help. This 69 is still in original condition. It was owned by a little old lady who always kept it inside. It is a 4dr Signet with factory AC and all tinted windows. The gold paint still looks like new.

I am running STP in the engine now, without much luck. There is no smoke out the tailpipe, only at the oil fill breather. That's why I think it must be compression rings that are broken or leaking badly.

I have located a couple of junk yard motors. Trouble is, I won't know if they are any good until I install one of them and get it running.

Any additional advice will be appreciated.
Old 04-12-1999, 06:29 AM
Brian Mills

Try and run it first, unless you are dealing with an engine from a wreck, the only other way they hit the junk yard is when they are miled out.
Old 05-08-1999, 03:28 PM
caveman

rip one apart and rering /rebuild,its a 6 they are easy and cheap to work on good luck
Old 06-19-1999, 03:00 AM
1971 cuda

hey cobrajet.. I have suggestion.. there is this stuff called *lets see if I spell it right* esenchalube.. if the rings are carboned up*like my small block was* the esentchaludbe will eat the carbon off the rings and bring the compression up again.. if I find a motor that is doing what you describe.. I do "the treatment" first.. and its worked very well in 99% of cars the rings are just carboned up and don't seal.. Hydrotex has this stuff go to your local parts house/auto care store and see if they have this stuff, you will need about a gallon. take the sparkplugs out and FILL! the cylidars, let sit for 24 hours then clean out the cylidars by turning the motor over.. it took a 440 from 20 # compression to 135# compression so it works and we won the road ralley that day.. *G* gotta love them E-body ground pounders!
Old 06-19-1999, 03:50 AM
karl

I think you should check a couple of things that could cause what your refering to in the 225. One if the crank breather is clogged you will get blow by and if the valves are out of adjustment it will not only miss but have low compression. If she's on a tight budget, look at these things first. Most slant 6 engines will go 2 to 300 hundred thousand without any problems. The points will also cause a miss and if the condenser is shaky this will cause the same problem
Old 07-03-1999, 07:32 AM
Inactive User

Good advice Karl I once had to drive one 50 miles with a broken rod,I was in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and no one was going to come along soon. Then I drove it to the store for eggs in the morning, so much for a 14 year old beater car. If it runs and doesn't sound broken, try all avenues.