Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

Default C-Body suspension parts

I am looking to replace and rebuild the suspension on my new 67 Newport convertible. I have yet to find a kit of all the bushing anywhere. I was hoping to get poly ones but i cant find anything, i also want new leaf springs and anything needed to improve the ride and handling. Does anyone know of a store that i can order this stuff from?
Thanks
Paul
Old 06-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

http://www.p-s-t.com The might be able to help. Sorings should be re arched or made new localy.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:03 AM
Inactive User

These people offer C-body leaf springs and related stuff:

www.espo.com
Old 06-05-2002, 05:38 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

What about C-body Torsion bars??
Old 06-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

BigBlockBabe you are truly an awesome! Thanks for everything.
If you have any other links on places to obtain c-body stuff let me know
Thanks
Paul
P.S. Have you or anyone else ordered from them? How is there service?
Old 06-05-2002, 12:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Torsion Bar replacement

Carefull when ordering there are some unknowlegable people out there and you dont want the wrong ones.
Try Mancini Racing or www.espo.com or even Kantersor The Padock. All torsion bars are not the same. Make sure you get what you need. Let us know what you found too.

James Kuenzi
1964 880 Sedan Big Block
Old 06-06-2002, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

I'm in the process of deciding on leaf springs. I will probably go with those sold by espo, because they have a good reputation, but I'm still doing research.

As far as stuff for C-bodies: I look for stuff as I need it. Since I started on the engine when I got the car, I haven't really moved out of the engine compartment 'til recently! I think I heard that pst has front and rear sway bars, but I've never heard of anyone selling torsion bars
Old 06-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

I am going to use Mopar SS springs in the back of my 70 Newport Convert. I am using M bodies front spring hangers, which I have to add about 6 inches to lengthen them. Already to a mock up of the parts. The springs end in a 454 part number. I believe they are for 3800 lb B-bodies. I think maybe 7 leafs. I need torsion bars though. We also put a rear sway bar on our 68 Newport Town-N-Country 9 pass wagon. I am happy with it. Easy to install. I am more concerned with body work as the car is half disassembled So..................Body work first. However I have the rest pretty much planned out.

Bob
Old 06-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Uhmmm Bob...why the elaborate leaf spring set-up, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 06-06-2002, 11:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlockBabe
Uhmmm Bob...why the elaborate leaf spring set-up, if you don't mind my asking?
Elaborate how? using super stocks or the hangers? I had an 86 Ex-cop car and was setting it up for autocrossing. Until the engine went bad, but that time I had the SS and the front hangers waiting to go in. Well since that never happened, I bought the 70 for my love of converts. It was in the car port while I was doing the an engine swap and noticed I have air shocks (Dont like em) The back basically set on the bump stops in the back SO...........looking through my spare parts, I measured and reliazed the front hangers are a little short (6") The rear springs already had an S shape at rest. With the new engine, it doesn't hook very well. The rear doesn't raise much at all either, unless I hold the brake and bring the stall up. So all this came about by parts I already had. I am also going to add a steel plate on the back of the hangers so the frame is sandwiched where the hangers bolt up. Going to see how this works. If not I will look for higher rate longer springs, have to see if ESPO can make custom springs. Sorry if I went to far but, I have that problem. Let me know if I answered eveything or went way overboard.

Bob
Old 06-11-2002, 11:59 PM

wow springs

Just go to your local spring shop and have them add a heavy duty leaf to your exsisting springs.
Dont use the b-body SS springs they are way to short and only designed for drag racing.
I had better results at the spring shop then with the SS springs.
Its cheaper to go with the shop then to modify your car and find out it will suck in handeling.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

Gripe C Body Leaf Springs

I would not add a leaf spring unless you expected to tow alot. The ride suffers and if you try to do this as a remedy for sagging leafs you over stress the inside of those sagging springs and the outside still sags. I have seen this in extreme cases.

If the springs are sagging (or flat) even re-arching is a temporary fix and not an accurate one. My car developed a left side lean.

Better to fork out the $200 and have ESPO build a little stiffer brand new spring (should you need it stiffer) or higher spring if you want the clearence to clear big fat tires.

James
Old 06-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone, i already placed an order for new springs with all new poly bushings and shackles. I refuse to re-arch the old ones because they are more then flat they have a bend in the wrong direction, plus they are only 4 or 5 leaf and espo said the orginal standard was 6 spring so i figured it was better to just get everything new and have an nice good ride, instead of just putting a bandaid on it temporarly.
Thanks
Paul
Old 06-12-2002, 01:17 PM

i have espo's spring on my 68 300, and my 74 cuda, and my 73
dart. Nice parts, good prices, nice people.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: C Body Leaf Springs

Quote:
Originally posted by Raidersfan
I would not add a leaf spring unless you expected to tow alot. The ride suffers and if you try to do this as a remedy for sagging leafs you over stress the inside of those sagging springs and the outside still sags. I have seen this in extreme cases.

If the springs are sagging (or flat) even re-arching is a temporary fix and not an accurate one. My car developed a left side lean.

Better to fork out the $200 and have ESPO build a little stiffer brand new spring (should you need it stiffer) or higher spring if you want the clearence to clear big fat tires.

James
What about de-arching the SS's. I think it would be hard to try and get them to be level. What would a good spring rate be for a big C-body then?
Old 06-12-2002, 09:52 PM

The SS springs are to short.