Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-22-1999, 01:10 AM
Hemis 1971

Wants To Find A Project Mopar Car From 1967-1973 For $500-$700. Challengers,Cudas, And Chargers Are My Favorite, but any mopar Mucsle Car will do. I Live In ILLINOIS, so you can drive the car here or Live In Nothern IL, I Would Be Happy To Pick It Up.
Thanks,Erik
P.S. I ALREADY HAVE TRYED THE YAHOO CLASSIFIEDS,WWW.CLASSIFIEDS2000.COM,
WWW.TRADERONLINE.COM,
AND THE REAL BIG ONE MOPAR PERFOMANCES.
I HAVE GOT SOME LUCK FROM:
WWW.CLASSIFIEDS2000.COM
WWW.TRADERONLINE.COM
BUT NO DEALS YET!! SO EMAIL ME
THANKS AGAIN,
ERIK
Old 07-22-1999, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

Erik,

Unless you've got all I'm about to mention, don't even consider a major project car of any kind.
First off though, is some FYI stuff from me to you. I just finished reading an article in a car mag. about this very subject. The statistics indicate that 80% of all project cars die before completion. They typically end up rusting behind someone's garage or in a field. Of the remaining 20% they are finally finished by 2nd, 3rd or 4th parties. The only car worth doing a resto on is an origional HEMI car, the Ford ( sorry ) BOSS cars and so on. Road Runners, unless a HEMI or 440 car aren't worth it either. Of course any unusual job like a 426 Max Wedge car or some other car with a history of racing are probably worth it too, You'd be better off if you intended to keep the car for yourself rather that to think of it as an investment. You usually don't make your invested money back in a sale, that's why you buy from the other guy that went thru all the aggrevation. These are some of the things mentioned. You will typically end up paying more in the long run to rebuild a project car then if you just saved your money and aggrevation and spent more later and bought something already done or very near done. You can then spend you time driving it instead of working on it and you can add your personal touches as you go.
Here is some of what you'll need if you proceed with a project car: Lots 'n lots of money, just as much time, a place to do the work, own a body shop, have a lot of friends to help you and patience. This is most of what you'll need, I'm sure others can add to this list.
I looked @ a '65 Dodge Corronet last week that needed all the above. The guy bought it 2 years ago and had collected most of the parts to convert it from the origional 6 cyl. car to the 440 and trans he had to go into it. He never did start it. The car looked as if it had been sitting in this dirt driveway next to his house since he bought it, complete with 4 nearly flat tires with rocks jammed behind them so the thing wouldn't roll into the back yard! And oh yes, rot holes and a filthy interior. I could go on. For nothing I wouldn't have taken it. He wanted $1,800 'cause after all this he doesn't have time to do the job. Getting the drift. Let the other "fool" do all the leg work, buy the car from him and enjoy driving it. Those "dream" project cars are just that, "dreams" for most of us.
Richard

ps I'm 52, been there, done that- almost! I was never that foolish!
Old 07-24-1999, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Erik
your dream mopar is a good thing if you are willing to invest a lot of time and a lotttt of money.the end result will probably be less than you expected.i have always wanted to do a ground up resto. on a vintage mopar muscle car but careful research will show the price to be way too much to ever be able to really enjoy the car for what it is hence:the ever so popular trailer queen.i am in the middle of what i like to call a vintage performance build up.it is a '65 barracuda formula(s).the car was in pathetic shape when i bought it.the only reasons i bought it was it is an original formula,it was an original 4-speed car with a factory 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears.the car had been drag raced most of its life as a 340 4-speed.it had sit under a pecan tree for the remainder of its last 13 years till i got it. need i say the car was twisted pretty bad due to no frame connectors,floors were returned to mother earth.i love barracudas
'64-'66 with a passion and in my area a formula is rare.my father has my old high school car fully restored now.its a '66 formula(s).the point is that even with all the money i have invested over the last 3 years[about 4500.00] the project is noy near done. my goal though when i bought it was not to restore it to factory, but to build a pro streeter that would be the, as everyone of us has said it, i cannot believe he did that to such a rare car.but the truth be known a lot of us pro streeters started out with the low priced junk and had no choice but to do it if you truely wanted to save a little piece of mopar history just in a different but affordable to most of us way.i am fortunate to have a wife that shares my passion for the barracuda as she is my high school sweatheart and we had the '66 till after we were married and a couple of years later i went into the army.she even helps me do body work and build my motors.pretty cool huh! it is a lot of headache to do this kind of project especially when you have un-expected set backs,which will happen more often than you think.if you are still going to take on thr project,i wish you good luck and stick to it but dont go end over end and get burned out with it.patience is a virtue!especially when a family is involved