Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Gear Vendor's auxiliary transmission for the 727 . .. .

Just wondering if anyone on the board has installed the Gear Vendor auxiliary transmission behind the 727 in their musclecar? And whether or not they'd do it again?

Ever since I saw that article in a magazine awhile back (think it was MoparAction ), I sure have been tempted to try one.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:43 PM

I haven't done it yet. I was planning on a GV with a 3.92 rear, before my company went under and I lost my job. I think that it would make a great combo.

MOPAR Muscle had a couple of articles about a Hemi with dual Holley TBI's. It's backed by an automatic and the GV. They said that it is a dream to drive. A couple of other MOPAR mags have done articles on it as well, and they had no complaints about the GV unit.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:58 AM

I installed one in a 70 Challenger behind a 527 Hemi. I love it. I use a 3.91 with 275x60x15 tires. Click a switch and i cruise with a comparable 3.05. Yes , I would buy it again. (They will discount it 10% --just ask)
Old 06-06-2002, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

What's the cost of a GV ?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:57 AM

They are about $2,300. Once you get it in, you will need to measure for the new length of your driveshaft and then have it shortened (about $75 - $95).

I like the idea of starting the race with a 3.91 and finishing the race with a 3.05. You can also go into a full manual mode that will give you a total of six speeds, out of your auto (1, 1+over, 2, 2+over, 3, 3+over).
Old 06-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default well

you could spend 2300 dollars and get just an overdrive with the same tranny.

or you could buy one of these guy's trannies http://www.coperacingtrans.com/chrysler.htm
and get a brand new transmission with overdrive for half that price.
Old 06-07-2002, 05:37 PM

First, GV has a 20 year reputation. The OD unit in the 518 cannot handle the power of a performance big block (a GV can handle over 1,000 HP). A 518 will not bolt up behind a big block. A 518 also requires alot of undercarriage modifications, to includ crossmember work. I'd go with the GV, before I would go with the 518.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

I just got through putting one behind a new tranny then hurt my back before putting it in the vehicle, I hope to fix that in a couple of months. the installation on the rear of the tranny was very simple, with a couple of slight catches...BTW this was the first time I've ever messed with the tail housing of a tranny so if I can do it.......
on a couple of pages the directions were written twice and a little confusing, take your time and think it through.....
when sliding the extension housing back onto the tranny you have to make sure that the tranny is in LOW gear or it won't engage, its a little easier with two people.....
the gasket for the over drive unit is sometimes between the box and cardboard packing, I thought mine was missing and then it fell out on the way to the trash, after I went to the trouble of making my own.....
the OD unit looks really big and I've heard that some applications require alot of clearancing in the tranny tunnel but I don't know yet....
I talked to the rep at Spring Fling and they are developing some new switches and LED lights that look better especially if you have a street rod or are looking for something that won't stand out in the interior, I'm thinking of having the LED indicator on the back of my hood scoop but haven't decided yet.....
Old 06-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the feedback.

Over the weekend I found the article I had mentioned earlier, it was actually in Mopar Muscle. Man I gotta have one!

mauve, let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Oddly, I looked at their site today before reading this post. This device gives you 6 gears (right?) Looks like a good setup able to handle lots of HP
Thats a lot of money though.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:13 PM

The GV unit requires one small area of the undercarriage to be opened a little. This can easily be done with an air hammer or a ball hammer, in less than 5 minutes.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Inactive User

You know, its a damn shame chrysler or mopar performance doesnt make Viper tranny's .... t56s ? That bolt up to big block or small block mopars. Now that would be something to have. You could run 4.89s or 5.13s and have and still cruize with the .5 overdrive gear.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

I just didi a small update on..... A518 I wanna overdrive
Old 07-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

I think I'll just keep my updates here instead of the "A518 I wanna overdrive...." since this one is more on the GV unit. I've got mine bolted up now just have to get a new driveshaft made. I'm keeping the old one incase I get a different toy and need to sell this one as original or just want to keep the GV unit for the new toy....
like ehostler said, an air hammer does a 5 minute job, I tried with a regular hammer for 3 days before I thought of the compressor sitting in the corner.....duh. If you use an air hammer be careful of punching all the way through the floorpan, it happens very quickly..... i also used a grinder on the outside edges of the bolt hole protrusions for the OD unit to help the floorpan clearance.
you should be able to use all dimensions below by ONLY removing the driveshaft of your current car and using a piece of cardboard for the diameter circle and remembering the straight line of the tranny output shaft.........
for those of you thinking of this here are some dimensions to mock up to see if yours is easier/harder in advance....
1966 Dodge Charger - 383- Auto......
my tranny had the 18 3/4 inch tail-housing for reference. With the tranny in the car the widest part of the OD unit is 13 inches from the rear of the tranny cross-member and 2 inches deep (total-15), the OD unit itself is about 7-7 1/8 inches in diameter in the tranny tunnel. Mine ended up under the back seats so you don't have to worry about the bumps showing through the carpet. If you STRAIGHT LINE along the tranny housing, it is 24 inches from the back of the tranny cross-member to the tip of the output shaft. Another thing to think about is the exhaust, i"ll be using an "X" crossover and with the tranny crossmember that will put the "X" right under the OD unit fluid reservoir. I'll have to come up with some kinda heat shied I guess.... I'll post again as I go along...... sorry I'm slow......
Old 07-07-2002, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the great information.

You should be able to wrap the 'X' with some heat tape (like what you'd use on headers, to protect the starter motor).
Old 07-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

I didn't think of header tape, thanks. Another thing to consider is the driveshaft angle..... I think the original for the pinion is supposed to be 5-7 degrees down. The car is level except for the difference in tire size, also I haven't adjusted the control arm bolt yet as the dealer manual says to adjust to original bumper height but doesn't tell me how high that is, besides I want a little more rake than the tires are giving me, I've got KYB shocks and HD leaf springs, 5 on one side 6-7 on the other and mine looks to be only 1 degree down. I'm using a pinion angle finder but it didn't really come with any directions. I guess the people that normally use them know what they are doing..... I'm setting it on top of the pinion on the flat spot for the snubber mount, is that good enough??
Using the flat side of the yoke on the OD end, I'm getting about 2 degrees down. I wonder if the shortened distance between the two will require the rear pinion to be different or should I fix the rear to normal spec and then adjust the tranny somehow. The OD unit instructions tell you how to get the right relationship between the two but I think they are assuming that you have the correct rear angle already.....