Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

Wink supra rice

i know how you guys feel about the crappy civics and what not ricers running around with fartpipes and body kits resulting in the fastest looking pos imagininable; but the ricers who are trying to go fast and not just look good are really cranking it up. First of all, supras are ricers. i dont care what you think. the older and newer ones are all over the place in the place with nothing but body kits and fart pipes, and even being driven and raced like ricers. I'm including a web site with a supra whos head has never been off and the thing is running et's that are hard to belive...but there is enough info to back it up. But i also have one question. If a six cylinder car can crank out that much power with the addition of a turbo (although it is a big turbo resulting in upwards and beyond 30 psi of boost) what could these turbos do on a 440? could our engines even handle this amount of pressure?

http://www.turboimports.com/swst88supra.html
Old 06-06-2002, 04:19 AM
Inactive User

well in my opinion
there are ricers
and there are import tuners

the ricers are the tuner wanna bees

I have all the respect for the tuners
when you are running 10's-and even in the 9's
with a FWD-less than 2L 4 banger
that is impressive-I dont care what brand it is

of course-the ricers think they are running that
but the motor is stock with a fart pipe and the 50HP of NOS
Old 06-06-2002, 10:23 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

440s can take it, forged crank and all. The only real problem is with age, do you want to trust a 35+ year old cast piston to take that kind of abuse...even in a supra 35 years from now Id doubt they would say yes...
Old 06-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

The 440 would be AWESOME. With the bottom end insurance to cover the application,( forged slugs,moly rings ect) there wouldn't be much of nothing to touch you. Best part about this is.... there is a turbo exhaust manifold already availible for BB mopars. It would be a single turbo application, but it would act like a 700cid motor once the turbo spooled up-
Old 06-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

Actually, its already been done. There is some guy on the internet who has a 65 Belvedere with a twin turbo 440 BB. He did all of his own pipe work and everything for the intercooler and what not if I remember correctly. I will try to track down the link for that website and post it as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, its also a good idea to run solid copper o-rings on turbo charged, supercharged, and nitrous motors to keep from blowing head gaskets. There was an article on page 38 of the August 2001 issue of Mopar Muscle concerning this.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Inactive User

Ok good news I guess. I managed to find that website containing the 65 Belvedere II with a twin turbo 440 BB. Here is the link. Enjoy!

http://pentastarpower.com/feets/newpage.html
Old 06-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Default 500?

Although i aplaud the man who did all that welding, plumbing and what not to put together the turbos, 500hp doesnt seam worth it to me. I have a fairly built 440 pushing 460hp. My dad has a sixpack 440 pushing 530. For all the money he just put into that engine with those results just doesnt seam worth it. Secondly he is running 8-9 psi.....exactly the same as the middle class ricers pushing there power to the 200hp mark. The tuners like the supra mentioned are running above 30psi resulting in monster hp. Id love to see what that kind of pressure could do on an engine built for that kind of power.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

The supras have alot more time and R+D behind them on the turbo applications to their motors. Give the mopar guys some time and you will see 600-750hp on 8-9psi...Most of those guys running 500hp on the turbos ARNT running Intercoolers. And if your not running and intercooler your loosing about 1/2 the hp you gain from the turbo once everything is warm..Take a 350hp 440 add a turbo get 500hp..add intercooler and better cam/head port design will easily get your 600+hp and when your not in the turbo you have a VERY streetable 440...give it some time!!!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Inactive User

lol, im sorry i just had questions. Is this kind of work actualy being done?
Old 06-10-2002, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

wow BB turbo manifold

does anybody know where one could obtain this "turbo" manifold
I have a 400 that is begging for a turbo
Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Check Turbo city or go on line and nose around. It was a major player in the turbo field that has them. I remember the cover of their catalog was red with a Highway disappering in the distance. I just don't remeber the name for sure.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:22 PM

Feets's turbo 440 makes 500 HP at only 8 pounds boost. Also it is basically a completely stock 440 that idles very smooth and gets 18 MPG with an O/D tranny. If he cranked the boost up to 15 pounds he'd be getting close to 700 horsepower, out of an otherwise stock 440. 30 pounds boost would make around 1100 horsepower, again out of a stock 440. If the engine was a 500 horse n/a motor (easy enough to do with some head work and more cam) and he ran it at a mere 8 lb boost we're talking around 750 HP. 30 lb boost would give an incredible 1500 horses! And remember, that's for the aforementioned mild buildup. The only longevity issues might be with sealing of the cylinders, since the revs to get a mere 500 n/a horsepower are not high enough to cause much stress on the bottom end of the engine. Also Dewme5 has a homebuilt turbo 360, he made 460 hp and 530 lb-ft on the dyno before he ran out of money to test at 4600 RPM... there was an easy 500 horse in that engine.

A 400 would make a great candidate for a forced induction engine; since it's a smog motor it already has low compression ratio and not a lot of cam... the stock 4-barrel cam would be a fairly good choice for boosted applications.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by goose
Feets's turbo 440 makes 500 HP at only 8 pounds boost. Also it is basically a completely stock 440 that idles very smooth and gets 18 MPG with an O/D tranny.
Exactly. 500HP and no lopey idle.

Supra's aren't rice. Nothing wrong with a wing or a body kit as long as it looks like it belongs on the car.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

I am sure glad somebody brought this up. I was thinking of taking a small block and mildly building it with a tight bottom end and adding a turbo + intercooler on it. I was wondering on how to go about it though. Not much info is out about how to do it and it is not that common to see. Imagine how loud a blowout valve would be on a BB or even a SB Mopar. A small block would be a sleeper with a turbo on it........ people would think it was a mildly built engine till they heard the turbo(s) spool up and tires burning. Not only would u increase you HP but your gas mileage on the Interstate would go up if you didn't get crazy with the boost level. If any body has any ideas let me know...... just an idea I am rolling around in that jug upstairs.

P.S. Don't try and contact the guy with the Twin Turbo 440 Belv.
He is not the sociable type. I e-mailed him asking him if he could give me any pointers and how impressive a job it was. He wrote a hateful e-mail back asing how I got his e-mail address........ uhhhh duhhh it was on the website near the article.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:57 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

The guys name is "Feets" he isnt too common here but he is on the other board...interesting breed of redneck over their
Old 06-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Inactive User

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxwedge
The guys name is "Feets" he isnt too common here but he is on the other board...interesting breed of redneck over their
What's the "other" board?
Old 06-18-2002, 01:15 PM

Funny you mention turbo smallblocks, there are at least 2 guys with turbo smallblock Mopes who are Moparchat members and I am building one as well. Dewme5 had a twin-turbo 360 Magnum crate engine that I mentioned in an earlier post to this topic, he has a website about it. He uses junkyard turbos to get 530 lb-ft out of his smallblock. If you want to know more about turbo conversions, there are lots of websites that are dedicated to this exact conversion as performed on plenty of smallblock Fords. One website describes how the guys run mid 10's with a fairly stock 5.0 and a pair of turbos, for less than $3K which includes the cost of the car.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

I asked a local Mopar type fella about this. He suggested using the '89 5.2L engine because of overall strength and head design.

A turbo smallblock would be pretty mean!