Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Banned

Default W2 Cylinder head Guru needed...

When your not sure ask the board....

A freind of mine in Texas has a set of fully ported W-2 heads for sale cheap....real cheap...that he says will "bolt right on"...where have I heard that before

I've never done any research on these heads as I didn't think they would fit my block, intake or headers...some one please straighten me out.

I know nothing about these heads, so talk slow and let me take notes.....
Old 06-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Inactive User

I just changed to W-2 heads. True they bolt right on to your block, then the work starts. W-2 intake required, the bolts are spaced wider to clear the huge intake ports. Now the pushrods all have to be custom built for the special W-2 rockers(adjustable) that are off set. The W-2 heads require unique rocker shafts and stands. Your old valve covers will work great, if they will clear adjustable rockers. I am using standard headers and had to modify gaskets, none of the ports actually match but it still makes more power than any other heads I have tried. All of this applies to regular W-2's and not the econo ones. This "bolt-on" modification works so well that I am now looking for my third set of heads, presently running on both cars and now need a set for the spare engine. Good Luck with your MOPAR .
Old 06-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Banned

Thanks, that pretty much answers all my questions....

Here's what I found on Mopar head spec's
Casting#----------Year--C/C----ex Int.
2465315/2658920-65-66 64.5---60 127
3418915-----------71-72--71----69 149
4027596-----------80-84--71----65 149
4323345-----------85-91--74----62 150
4323302-----------85-91--62----54 118

Right now I have the 2658920 heads and you can see by the numbers I need more head (but don't we all)

I did get the intake runner out to 138 cc's, exhaust to 76 cc's and the combustion chamber down to 54 cc's.

I think with all the mods required to swap to the W2's I'll hunt down a set of 915 J's and put the die grinder to them. The W2's would probably just drown my little 318.

...and besides....I have almost reached the speed of my wallet, to continue would void all marriage warranty's, expressed or implied...
Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Inactive User

I have a W2 head here at my desk...casting # 3870810 they have been fully ported, etc

I don't know how much power they are capable of, but I might find out sometime soon. The Super Victor I am working on, if the test goes well, we will make a version using a W2 core instead and machine the intake accordingly!

All the changes that Moparvann mentioned sounds right to me.

Roger
Old 06-07-2002, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

cuda66273....if your friend is still interested in selling those w2 heads.... I would like to inquire about them if you would not mine..

I have all the rocker gear..intake manifold, headers and so on

email address is aarcuda@lvcm.com

thanks

tony
Old 06-07-2002, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

RodgerH I've been hearing rumors on some new Super Victor intakes for LA mopar engines, Both W-2 and Std head. Is there a release date? Do you a ginnie pig to try out the W-2 At a locally (S0-CAL) Track? Any information you can e-mail. I'm in Anaheim CA. vernvesco@mindspring.com .
Thanks. Vern K.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:39 AM
Banned

Hey Vern...your right behind me in the line...
Old 06-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

vern....

A Super Victor manifold is still in the prototype stage. A engine is supposed to ship from Herb McCandless today, so hopefully will be here late next week and I can port match the prototype to the Indy/Edelbrock heads we are using to test the manifold with. The test engine is one that Herb ran at Indy Cyl Heads and saw 630 horsepower on the dyno using a Victor manifold. We are going to try and beat that.

As far as when you can see a production version......well, I wouldn't hold me breath. We will show it at SEMA this year, but I would expect a production version to be ready to buy until late Winter or early Spring 2002. All the casting tooling has not been designed yet, waiting to do that until the prototype is run!

Thanks for the interest! We are hoping these will be a good seller to go along with the stroked 340's and 360's, and well as race versions. Hopefully we can get production going sooner than that.....but things don't move too swifty here....if the sampe run turns out good, and we run a large enough batch of them, we will probably offer those for sale around the end of this year.

Roger
Old 06-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the information Roger. The Victor 340 is the #1. manifold out there now. All my friends in Super Stock in N.H.R.A. All use it. The Super Victor will be a great seller. There has not been a new High Horse power L.A. manifold out in a long time. Some of the racers have made a adapter and use the chevy super victor.
Thanks Vern.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Inactive User

Very good to hear! Yeah, our Victor manifolds are pretty old, the Super Victor will have a much more smooth turn to the port exit, not the sharp turn at the end like the Victor has. Would be interesting to see the 1/4 results difference in just the manifold swap! You have a drag car with a SB and standard ports? Maybe a strip test with the prototype manifold, after the dyno test could be a good possibility! Here's my email: rhorn@edelbrock.com

I'm heading out early today...going to Vegas for my b-day! I wont tell you how young I am....might not want to know a young'n like me is designing your parts!

Roger

PS - Please, no tech-line type questions to my email....I'm not a tech service guy! ...just a engineer....
Old 06-07-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Roger thanks for the reply. My 68 360 stroker is a W2 and My 67 is a 340 std head. But for consistent (time slips) feed back your best bet is Don Studley who owns PCH RACING, in Riverside. He is the mopar head guru. Has always has had the fastest 360 cars/truck in what ever class he runs. Currently runs a 360 Dakota in Super Stock (GT/TB). And he supports many racers locally and all the way to the east coast. Consistency is where it's at and he or several other mopar 340/360 racers are very consistent. He does port match his Victor to his head and Yours will have to be matched to his head. Or he can have a Stocker test it. He could tell you of some of the Stockers that run in N.H.R.A. H/SA I/SA, J/SA That have to use the factory head. And they run very high 10's to very low 12's and are very consistent in times. I'll leave the following information. And I will e-mail you later.
Name: Don Studley - PCH RACING
Telephone: 909-785-8710
Postal Address: 9710 Arlington Ave
Riverside,CA,92503

Electronic Mail: pchracing@pe.net

Web page: www.pchracing.com .

If I had a new manifold to test it would go to PCH RACING. (Don't get me wrong, I'D die for a look and tryout of the Super Victor).
Please kept US (or e-mail me) with the dyno results. or any test data. It's good to have you working on mopar, Keep up the good work.

Hope you enjoy your B-BAY. VERN
Old 06-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

SUper Victor...Yuuummmmmmmm

Roger, if your young, and thats per point of view, you must have done something right and used your head.
Rock on dude!

And also, ..Gemini huh?
Hope ya win a million...wait, if ya do, will come back to do the intake?
Old 06-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

rumble.....

hahaha.....well, no worries, didn't win any money in Vegas....so still gainfully employed and working on the Super Victor! I just feel like from the party!

Thanks for the b-day wishes!

Well, you can say I have done my homework to get me where I am today. My first job out of the university was to work for Honda on the CART engine program. That was really fun and cool...but the pay sucked!

We are working with Herb McCandless to dyno the engine, so for track tests we might just give him a couple manifolds, but we'll wait and see how the prototype testing goes!

I was talking with a co-worker last week, and we were saying how its a good thing we are doing all these Mopar products lately! We have too many Chevy stuff, kinda gets old after a while....I am also working on a 440 MPFI kit, and I have a SB version done, but Vic held it up, its all ready to go to tooling.

And what my new project.....a Honda manifold!

Roger
Old 06-10-2002, 01:16 PM
Inactive User

Roger, you have a SB EFI setup, but they won't let you build it?!? That draws a vacuum. Since Cuda's in line for testing the W2 manifold, can I be first in line to test the EF?
Old 06-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Inactive User

Wow....I got some kinda line over here!!

As far as the SB MPFI kit, we will get a car to test it....for the BB MPFI we are borrowing an ex-employee's car to do it. It takes at least a month, if not more, to install and perform all the calibration's with the different cams.

Still waiting on the BB castings.....the tooling keeps turning out wrong....and I have been waiting a while for the first castings....hopefully sometime this month!!

Any of you go to Irwindale for the thursday drags?? Thinking of taking the Honda turbo car there to get a time slip for it, but have never been.

Roger
Old 06-11-2002, 01:59 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey Roger!!!!!

Oh-sorry man...hey roger (Shhhh)

On the Victor, ( I'm makeing a request here. ) Is it possible to have the same consideration as the BB Victor, as in, having it able to (Home) bored out to accept the T-Q as well?

I do see the Chevy RPM intakes as having two. One Square, one spread. I was waiting for a Spreadbore, T-Q feindly RPM intake.
Some how...I don't see it coming.

Has anybody tried a match up off the T-Q on the RPM to see if it's doable. I assumed not. I think I'll check. Allthough I don't have any real hopes on it.

Thanks Bro
Old 06-11-2002, 02:07 AM
Banned

Default Ahhhhh...what was that again..Huh, what did you say....were you talking to me?

I said...

When your not sure ask the board....

A freind of mine in Texas has a set of fully ported W-2 heads for sale
cheap....real cheap...that he says will "bolt right on"...where have I
heard that before

I've never done any research on these heads as I didn't think they
would fit my 318 block, intake or headers...some one please straighten me
out.

I know nothing about these heads, so talk slow and let me take
notes.....

I know someone knows about these heads...talk..TALK or I'll make you ride in public in a 76 Camero 350/350 with a 350 rear gear!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

rumble.....

Check the accessories part of the Edelbrock catalog....there is a carb spacer, 2691, that adapts a Thermo-Quad to a quare bore manifold. The only thing you might have to do is grind some of the divider wall of the SB RPM maifold since it is a dual plane manifold. That is if the T-Q butterflies would hit it. I don't have a manifold or spacer available right now to check if it would. But using that spacer you could adapt any T-Q to a square bore carb pad. And no, I don't think we will be making a T-Q only version of the manifold, since I don't think the sales are there to warrant the cost of tooling for it. Factors of economics.

cuda....

The W2 heads bolt onto a block just like anyother LA head. W2 heads do need a special intake manifold. The intake bolts are moved away from the ports to make room for the wider cross section. I don't know about the headers. I would imagine that if you called up Indy Cylinder Heads, they would be more than happy to tell you all that info....they are really helpful!

I was reading a little on the Indy SB heads, and they offer a head that has a standard 360 and W2 style bolt patterns for the exhaust, which would make me think you would need a special exhaust also to go along with the heads.

Roger
Old 06-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thanks Roger. But just an intake that could be worked on. 1 with enuff meat to grind away. Not a T-Q only intake.
A Square bore with enuff meat to grind away for a T-Q

Years ago they had a special wide bolt pattern for the exhaust on W-2 heads. I thought they got rid of that bolt pattern in favor of a stock one.
(Then D-C wonders why they can't sell them with all the confusion they made with bolt pattern size differences.)
Old 06-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Banned

Thanks Roger that tells me just enough to know that I have indead exceeded the speed of the old wallet on that program....so..

Who can tell me which head would give me greater than 185 CC runners and smaller than 55 cc combustion chambers, these numbers would be net after grinding and cutting, but still allow me to use the Victor Air Gap and Hooker bolt on's...
anyone?...
hello?...
anybody there?

I guess the J heads are the answer if I stay with steel...and the Edelbrock Al's if I go that route....But I'm open to suggestions....

Roger...did I mention that were turning those numbers (12.27@108.85) in that 318 with 138cc intake runners opening to a 1.94 intake valve...run that across your slide ruler and see if you can make 318 inches make 420 HP

If I could just get that 66 Cuda Fastback to run backwards it would drastically inprove the areodynamics and I know it would run 11's.....
Old 06-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

I don't think you'll find a square bore intake manifold with enough meat to grind to fit a T-Q carb. You'd either have to do cutting and welding yourself, buy a spacer, or maybe there is someone out there that makes a T-Q only intake. My guess would be that it MP doesn't make one, that your only shot would be Indy Cylinder Heads.

Roger
Old 06-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Banned

I meant to attach this image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dg_burnsmler.jpg (77.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

cuda...

hmmm...must have been wrting a post at the same time I wrote my last one....

bigger than 185 cc......The Indy 360-1 heads are a 210 cc intake port with a 63 cc chamber that can be milled to 53 cc.

Best bet probably!

Roger
Old 06-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Banned

Sorry about the lack of Edelbrock decals...when we knocked all the glass out of it and switched to plastic I'm afraid your decals went down with the ship..so to speak.....of course if I had more I'd like to get them back on the 1/4 windows.....

13730 SW Burlwood St.
Beaverton Oregon
Old 06-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Banned

Cha Ching....I gotta slow down on this project....Mrs. Cuda keeps lookin' at the house wanting me to get the paint brush out ...I told her as soon as I finish the car I'd paint the house...

There is a little bit of mystique in running an Iron headed motor (and also I'm a cheap skate) as soon as I go with the AL. heads I'm gonna have to spend another 10 grand to get it into the 10's, there's already a Guy in Az. running 10.60's with a Al. headed 318, gotta keep up with the Jone's.

Eventually we'll be going all the way with this combo, adding a set of Oliver rods, stack fuel injection and alcohol and pushing her to the 10.? range but that's a couple of years away and there's alot of BB's to beat up on between now and then.

If you've ever seen a picture of "Sox and Martin" 66 F/X Barracuda that's where were going, right down to the paint scheme...except I think I'll pass on the straight axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sox&mart.jpg (77.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

cuda...

Yes... the $2k on new heads will outlast any home improvement project!! And I think the paint will be worn away while people are still wondering how you make a 318 move that fast!

Actually, since you can get a set of W2 heads for so cheap, then the expense of a intake manifold, and probably headers, wouldn't even come close to the cost of Indy/Edelbrock heads then, correct?

Hmmm....so a new catalog to accomany the stickers too??? Hehe...I'll have to see where they keep all that stuff....shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on!

Roger
Old 06-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Inactive User

cuda.....

Look for a mailing from Edelbrock in a few days....mailed ya some stuff today!

Roger