Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

Help im having starting problems help!

im having problems starting my 69 newyorker (440 4bbl.). somtimes when i turn the key to start i hear a clicking noise and it doesnt crank. and when the car i warm, after i finally get it to turn, it turns and turns and turns i even give it gas but i will not start when it is warm. when it is cranking, it sounds like it is flooded and the engine compartment will smell like gas. so please help why does sometimes it just click when i turn the key and nothing happen's. and why doesnt it start up when it is warm. i have brand new plug wires, dis. cap and rotor, all high performance. have new starter relay switch. about the flooding when it is warm and not starting do you guys think it is time to retire my carter avs?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:02 PM

check your ground cable on the battery. I would scrape the terminal and the inside of the cable end to get a clean contact patch, them put dome dielectric grease over the entire thing to keep corrosion to a minimum. As for the hot start problem. What was the temp there last weekend, like 100+? I would guess perculation of fuel in your carb. The juice could be boiling out, and fuming up your engine compartment. Try one of those 1/4" gaskets you can get at NAPA, itll keep your AVS cooler. Also check your fuel line and make sure it is not close to a heat source. Are you running a ballast resistor, You said All H.P. does this include ignition that uses a ballast resistor?
Old 06-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

wiring harness from tranny to starter relay not grounding properly. i had this very same problem. check the plug for tight fit on prongs on tranny.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

You might check to make sure the flapper valve that diverts exhaust through the intake crossover is not stuck shut. That makes the carb hotter than hell. Insulating the fuel lines may help a little too.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

All of the previous ideas are good ones to try on your cold start problems check to see if you have a groud strap from the engine to the body I don`t recall wich year mother mopar started useing them . But they are a good idea for all years. As far as your warm engine starting trouble try the simple stuff first. it may be just flooded . next time it happen`s to you dont pump the gas just hold it to the floor and eventualy it will clear it`s throat and roar once again. Dirty dan