Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Default Auto Meter tach/MSD RPM Activate switch won't work with Chrome box?

I have hooked up a zillion tachs over the years, but my latest Auto Meter Monster tach is just giving me fits.

I installed the tack and a MSD RPM activated switch. The tach was brand new and the MSD switch was working when I removed it from my Dart Sport. The needle jumps slightly when I start the car, but then goes completely dead. The tach wire from the tach (green) goes directly to the negative side of the coil, and I have good power and ground. The MSD switch turns the light on with a test chip, but a 5800 chip won't turn it on. I verified that the tach is operational by installing it on my brother Olds (ick).

My Dad's monster tach works fine with a Chrome box, and the MSD and chrome box were previously paired on my old Dart Sport.

The tech at Auto Meter said that some mopars with electronic Ignition need to tap into the gray wire from the ECU. Well, I got news for him - "I ain't got no" gray wire from the ECU.

Any of you guys have troubles like this?

The Dartman
Old 06-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Inactive User

I don`t know were you are getting your power from . But if you are drawing it from the wrong side of the ballist resister you will get the same tac results . As far as your switch goes have you tried any thing eles other then the 1000 ? it may be a bad chip altough It`s not likely. those switches either work or they don`t. If you simply use a jumper wire from one side of the plugin side to the other it will activate at 0 RPM. You said it works with a 1000 chip. well as you said (it works) don`t fix it any more. If you get the tac straight the switch will follow the signal it sends. Dirty Dan
Old 06-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Inactive User

I had the same problem with the MSD 6A and my stock tach on my barracuda. I never got it to work. I ended up buying a new autometer tach (the type that works with points and electronic ignitions) and that solved the problem. pd
Old 06-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the responses...

I copied the response from the Auto Meter tech so you can see what he wants me to do:

"If you have a electronic Chrysler ignition, I suggest you run the green wire to the gray wire that runs between the box and the distributor." - Auto Meter technician

I would've originally thought that the tach may not have been getting enough juice since I tapped into the radio wiring for power. I have since removed the tach and got power from the relay, and grounded the tach on the block (which is correctly grounded to the car).

One other wierd thing I noticed when I was installing the tach was that when it was not operational, I removed the ground wire with the vehicle running and the tach started working. This situation went away almost as soon as I noticed it. I tested and made sure that I do not have 12 volt draw, or short to ground anywhere in the car.

No one was more suprised than I was when the tach jumped to life under hooked to the rocket motor, though...

I'm stumped...
Old 06-11-2002, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

what is an MSD RPM activated switch for? i have never heard of it...(bear with me, i'm young...)

i've seen in my summit book a tach adapter for MSD DIS ignitions...part number MSD-8912 at summitracing.com i don't know if that is what you need for your application or what, but its a though...i don't have a whole lot of info... i am stumped too about why the tach won't work if it is connected to the neg. side of the coil, has power, and has a ground... maybe turn your stereo on, see if that doesn't do anything....just a thought.

my $.02...good luck
Old 06-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Inactive User

The MSD RPM Activated switch turns on a shift light at whatever RPM chip that is installed. I do not have an MSD box though - this is just a chrysler chrome.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

ok, i see... i am getting real confused why it won't work...i used to use an auto meter in my car, stock electronic ignition, just hooked it up to the neg side of the coil and it worked great. it was a memory tach similar to the 5" pro-comp tach at http://www.summitracing.com/ part number ATM-6811

Now I use a Mallory Pro Tach I Rev Limiting Tach, part number MAA-657. it also works great, and i only switched because the light burned out on the other one (inside, couldn't see at night). all i have to do is change the bulb...still works.

good luck, i hate going w/out tachs... my dads 93 chevy has one, and my moms 98 phurd explorer (boo!) has one too...