Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-11-2002, 11:08 AM

Question Need help on floor shifter...

Hello,

I'm thinking of putting an aftermarket floor shifter (auto.) in my newly aquired 66' Coronet. It has a bench seat, so I need a shifter that won't hit my dash or seat. I've heard that someone makes a ratchet shifter that only moves about an inch and then goes back to center. It sounds like something that would work.

This is the first car I've owned in over 16 years with an automatic so I haven't kept up on shifters for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 06-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Inactive User

I think you might have a hard time with this. Only shifter I can think of that might work, is a B&M "Z" Gate shifter. The shifting "gates" are staggared, and acts like a rachet shifter - i.e. B&M MegaShifter. As long as you smack the shifter, it will hit the staggared part of the gate, and drop into the next gear. It also has a reverse lockout - won't let you hit reverse if you forget you are already in drive.

The reson I think this might work, is that since it is not a true rachet shifter - i.e- that once you are in "normal" first, you lift the nob and pull back into rachet "mode" - this causes a big movement. The "Z" Gate is a cheap shifter - about $100 from Summit and is cable driven so you can mount it anywhere. I use it in my car and am happy with it.

If I actually had my car in the same city, I could measure the movement for you, but I don't, so I can't make it easy.

Mills
Old 06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Inactive User

Just found a cool dimension page in the PAW catalogue for B&M shifters - gives full forward to full back dimension. Looks like my first thought is wrong - the "Z" gate shifter is LONGER then the MegaShifter.

Check out PAW or B&M online - you should be able to get this same dim. page and double check your car.

Best I can do because my POS scanncer isn't working.

Mills
Old 06-11-2002, 10:33 PM

Mills...

Thanks for the information. I checked PAW, and B&M web sites. Neither had dimension information. I didn't think it would be that hard to find a shifter that would work with a bench seat. I was leaning towards a B&M QuickSilver, but I don't know if I'll have clearance issues.

Maybe someone with a bench seat car is running a floor shifter and will speak up?

Later,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 06-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

have you tried here? http://www.thunderalleyspeedshop.com/shifters1.htm

heres a cool lookin shifter...if anything happens to my hurst it'll be the one i'm lookin at... it is also at http://www.summitracing.com/ part# BMM-80683 for $141.95
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quicksilver shifter2.jpg (17.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Inactive User

Default quicksilver shifter

I have a friend that runs a quicksilver shifter in his truck, it has about 2-3 inches of travel front to back when ratcheting.
Old 06-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

I have used the hurst Quarter Stick and like it a lot - it seems to have a reasonable throw...

Never used the Cheetah SCS - but have heard raves about it (keep in perspective - mag articles) I really want to use one but it's nearly 100 bucks more than any of the competition - not sure why or what benefit it has the other don't??? Plus it kind of looks cheap??? No shinny Chome (which probably means it works better).
Old 06-13-2002, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the information so far.

I like the looks of the B&M QuickSilver. It sounds like it has all the features I'm looking for. I'll have to contact B&M and get dimensions from them. If anyone else has any idea's feel free to speak up.

Thanks,
Mopar_Maniac