Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-12-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Boost reference to fuel pump?

How did you blow-through turbo guys hook up your rising-rate fuel pressure setups? I know a common way to do it is to have a a boost reference line plumbed to a pressure regulator, but that's too much money for me (electric pump and regulator are big bucks!). I have heard of people running boost pressure to the atmospheric reference port on a mechanical pump, I'd like to go that way... does anybody here have any tips on that method?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

how much psi do you need? at summitracing.com/ there are Holley electric pumps that come w/regulators and are 97.95... part number is HLY-12-802-1. thats not too bad...you won't run out of fuel unless the tank goes dry...

good luck.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

It has been a while since I have looked at doing it, but it all depends on the construction of pump. Some, I think, have their atmospheric side connected to the crankcase through the pushrod, and thus have to be sealed, which is tough to do. I have gone with electrics since my first turbo build almost 20 years ago, because of the difficulty of getting a mechanical one to work right.

You can make a very reliable setup with a Holley red and a Holley blue with a boost referenced regulator all tied together with pressure switch. I ran that system for many years without a problem. If you scrounge used parts, you could probably do it for under $100.

Fuel delivery is not the place to skimp when you are building a turbo system, as it can cost you an engine in an instant.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

thats the way i look at it about my NOS...instead of going w/sumthing cheap, i used my dads old holley blue from his race care (well, one of em...he has many spare...) which is cheaper, a new motor or a good fuel system?

good luck
Old 06-13-2002, 03:25 PM

I had been planning on using the Carter Strip pump, it should flow plenty for a totally stock 318 at 8 lb boost. Believe it or not this is the single most expensive part of our project. The only reason we are spending the $60 is because of course you have to have increased fuel flow to match the increased airflow. Also I know very well what lean detonation does to engines and am willing to not totally low-buck on the fuel pump. But, if we do happen to blow the 318 I'll just pull it and swap in one of the many others we have laying around. Besides we're not racing this, just trying to have some fun... So does anybody know if this pump has an external atmospheric port? If not, what pump should I get?
Old 06-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

right in the middle of the page is goign to be your anwser. pics and details.. ya can thank me later

http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/tthowto.htm

ps.. the whole site is worth reading once or twice!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:33 PM

Ahh yes, that's the pic I was looking for... I'd seen it before but couldn't remember where from. Thanks for finding it Dewme!!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:02 PM
Inactive User

no problem.... when you were asking, i knew exactly what you wanted...almost in a freaky sense...