Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-16-2002, 04:37 AM
Inactive User

Question New Sure-Grip Positractions?

What's the word on these? Saw an ad by Randy's Ring and Pinion and I'm too impatient to wait till Monday to find out the info Are these clutch units, Chevy stuff ("posi")?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2002, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I saw that too. I hope it's just an advertisement copy typo.
Because I would really hate to think the person selling me Mopar parts had to give them GM names to identify them. I don't want any Quadrajet AFB's or AC/Delco Ballast Resistors either!!
And yes, I want a SUREGRIP in my Mopar, thats what they came with!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thats the problem with that word."Posi" It's so wide spread. Even people here say it and even think twice on it. We all know what it means. Just a term shortened from a GM word from a Beach Boy song.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

They are selling Auburn "Sure Grip Units"...

Sure Grip = posi = limited slip ,etc...

All these have some types of clutches in them - cone style (i.e. dana trac-lok) or disc style (i.e. dana power-lok).

Can get clutches for power-loks - cannot get new units - cannot get an internal kit for rebuilding them (at least not yet). BTW - same as dana 44 30 spline internals but they don't make those either anymore.

The cone style (which is what they are selling) is an exact copy (spincer sold auburn the rights) to what came in your mopar from about 69 on in all 8 3/4 - but like most mopar stories their are exceptions to that 1969 rule!

This is where fact stops and my opinion begins...

In my opinion, the power lok is a superior unit to the trak lok (strength) just can't get parts for them. Trak loks are great for street machines, but you will destroy them with suffiecent traction and power at the strip or on the street. That's where the power lok will out perform the auburn units.

Frankly - If I am going to run 8 3/4 rather than a dana in a very high HP application - I will convert all to fine spline and run a soft detroit locker. They are not bad and don't make much more noise than a tight or new sure grip. Plus in a stright line they are basically a spool - lot's of power to the ground rather than in to the clutches!

My three cents!

Old 06-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Inactive User

I saw that ad too, looks like they are selling clutch style differentials again. It might be a typo, because I never heard a word about in any of the mopar mags "new stuff" sections, and you would think they would know about it before we would!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

I have been looking at those ratchet style lockers in Summit. Has anyone run one of those? the price is right!
Old 06-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Inactive User

Supposedly they are making the internal kit for the 8 3/4 which effectively would allow you to rebuild all these old cases (that are very worn out) laying around. These kits are going to be about 250 bucks, plus clutches. I am sure they have stock piled a bunch of cases and will rebuild them with these new internals and ask a small bar of gold for them.

As far as I know these new internals are just coming available in July and are made in India...

This may be what they are Pre-advertising otherwise it's an auburn.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

Toomuch did you call? Because when we called the tech person :baby0: had no clue what these units where, or when they would be available (they're not made yet and probably not available for a year), which doesn't make sense since they're advertising them now. He did confirm that these were not Auburn units. Overall a disappointing call.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

Not surprising...

I have not had great experiences with Randy's. Their people generally are not well informed and when you find one who is he's near impossible to get ahold of. I have always got the feeling they are just trying to sell me parts not necessarily the correct ones (usually very high pressure).

BTW - I have talked to them about these new internals several times - latest update is they are on a slow boat from India and wil be here in July...? Frankly, I'll believe it when I see them...

I am sure I will buy a few sets as I have 2-3 8 3/4 power loks that are so worn out that I wouldn't put them behind a 4 cyl running on 2.5 cyclinders.

Frankly - if time is of the essence - put in a new soft locker and you'll not be disappointed...
Old 06-18-2002, 02:39 AM
Inactive User

I'm not really in a hurry , but I am interested in getting more info on those soft lockers. Is there a manufacturer's or retailer's website I could check out for more info? And would these be practical in a daily driver?
Old 06-18-2002, 04:14 AM
Inactive User

Randy's website is randysring-pinion.com, I think. He has loads of technical info. I've done business with them, and found them to be very knowledgeable, very willing to spend time with me answering dumbass questions, lowest price when I surveyed a bunch of these type guys and really quick with delivery.

NOTE TO RANDY: Please send the free 489 case 4.56:1 Detroit Locker to the address you have for me on file.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

Doug, that is the new aluminum case, right?
Old 06-18-2002, 04:23 AM
Inactive User

Naturally - you wouldn't expect me to settle for less than the best, would you????
Old 06-18-2002, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

Default 8 3/4 aluminum case

The mopar performance aluminum case is based on the "742" casting not the "489" casting
Chuck