Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Inactive User

Cool Powering a 360 with ALCHOOL

My 360 has a steel crank stock bore a set of heads that were on a red express that are planed 30 thow double valve springs. My carb is Predator, with the alchool kit in it. Now my question is, can I run alchool through it. Will it work and if it works, How long will the motor last.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

If you plan on running pure you need to double the jet sizes from your fuel set-up as it will 2 to 1 over gas...should last fine as it will run way cooler....just make sure the rest of the systems can take it as it is very corrosive and most components aren't design for anything over 10% mix...i've been told that it's hard to do plug readings as the stuff burns so clean.....
Old 06-17-2002, 01:26 AM

Where did you get a 360 steel crank? aftermarket I guess. Your fuel pump needs to be alcohol rated as with any rubber fuel line or rubber part. Careful fueling up also, it burns with no visible flame, and has a very low light off temp. My Father in law used to haul spirit grade 200 proof stuff for a candy maker (???) and said it was the scariest stuff he ever hauled.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the help guys. by the way I have two steel cranks one I use and a spare. My brother also has one he uses also all three original mopar.NOT FORSALE!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:44 AM

I don't have experience with straight alcohol but, ran a lot of alcohol and nitro. I do know that alcohol & nitro is not compatible with anything that is made of brass. The fuel will turn to gel if left in contact with brass for a while. Don't know if this is true with straight alcohol, but it maybe a thing to check into.

6Cuda6 is correct in the fact you'll need MUCH bigger jetting to run alcohol.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I already have the proper fuel bar in my carb. It's nice to know about the gel when in brass. Now I was told that I had to check to see if the alchool would eat the insides of my fuel pump. I use the original type fuel pump. Will it work? or can I buy one from Mopar or some where? I'd rather stay with the manual fuel pump.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

Default fuel pump

You can`t use a factory pump as they are not alchy rated and will soon have diaphram failure. Check with Jegg`s or sumitt for proper pump.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:49 PM
Inactive User

So it looks like I'll have to go to an eletric pump I don't like them they give me nightmares!!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Question Night mares

what is it that bothers you about an electric pump? With the added demand for fuel you would be hard pressed to keep up with a mech; pump.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

What bothers me about eletric pumps is that everyone of my friends that use them have to carry at least two spares. And out of three of them that use them at least one of them have trouble with their pump when we get to the track. I have never had a problem with manual one. Once one started to throw oil but it didn't let me down. By the way all the eletric ones were Holleys.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

You could run a belt driven pump like most of the drag alcohol cars do but they are expensive!
Old 06-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

A few of my buddies run in an IMCA modified class and they have to change oil everynight as the alcohol eats oil, and it would take out the bearings after a while, The rubber will definately eat out and you will need a return line on the pump because of the volume it has to pump it will just blow past the needle and seat at idle.
On a cool day you will need to squirt gas in the carb to start it as the alky wont ignite when its cold and then it will eat the oil out of the rings cause the alky just pours in there.
Another thing is you had better have good pistons too cause it will eat out the centers in about five minutes, they also dont like to idle or lug around at slow speeds.
After all that do you still want to do it. Another thing you have to buy it by the 55 gallon barrel too, I dont think the gas mileage would be good either so I hope its for a strictly race setup too.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. what type of pistions should I use? and what type of pistions can I get away with for about 8 weekends or so? Or what would it do if I made homebrew octane boaster out of it. I have some formulas.