Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2002, 03:42 AM
Inactive User

Confused Strokin' a 318...

Rolling this over in my head, bout strokin' a 318. First .030 overbore+3.58 stroke crank= 349 cu. in. (almost 350 yuk!) Second, .030 over+4.00 stroke crank= 390 cu. in. Here's the question, what needs to be done to make this work? Is valve interference an issue? Can I balance the 3.58 and drop it in? I figure with the 4.00 I'm going to need special pistons, rods, and??? Does the 3.58 needs special pistons, rods, and??? Please educate me...

Thanks,
L.C.D.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Banned

Pretty simple deal....

Your rods are fine but I would reccommmend using the 340 rod, it's a lot stronger.

The crank is available from Ma Mopar or direct from SCAT. You can also use a 360 crank by cutting the main journals down, but I don't reccommend this as it messes up the crank geometry, it works just not the best way to do it.

Pistons are available from almost any of the majors, ARIAS, JE, Diamond etc.

Valve interferance won't be an issue, if you do the math correctly you'll find that the biggest valve you want to run will be a 2.02 and lift should be moderate, depending on what heads you use...more head = more valve = more cam....you know the routine....

This is for a 349...NEVER say 350 here....I have not researched the 390 CID formula so I can't answer that part of your question. When I looked at all these possibilities it seemed the longer stroke/bore ratio didn't feel right.

When you do it let me know I'd like to know how well it works. Paper and computer say it will make some good tork but I'd like to see it done...
Old 06-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

I'm looking at the 4" stroker crank for my 318. With my .060 over bore, it will be a 396. The block needs to be clearanced for the rotating mass so the rods don't hit, and I'm going with the conversion for the 4 bolt mains from Miloden. More machining. The crank is about 325 and another 229 for the mains. Yes, pistons will have to be made from Diamond, Arias, and the like. But, you'll have better choice about your compression ratio. For the SB stroker 4" build, contact Dilley340 on here or with the Duster Homepage as he is completing this on his 340. He'll be able to give you more details. Speeds expensive, how fast do ya wanna go??
Old 06-19-2002, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Get out your Check book & credit cards...

Find a REALLY GOOD Machinist and take him to lunch weekly - they also like donuts...

I have built a couple of strokers (various combo).

You will be married to this thing before your done.

Block clearence issue, rod clearence issues, pistons are spendy, crank is spendy, rods (for good ones) are spendy...

Althought you can cut down the cost by using mostly stock stuff... As was stated before what do you want to do with it...

My latest Demon of a stroker pulls 562 HP on pum gas and 714 Hp on the bottle... 10K later...

Probably can build a stoker for 1/3 to 1/2 of that which will do 435 hp all day long on pump gas - that extra 100-125 HP costs a bunch!

My 3 cents. (By the way - I don't regret one red cent because it's just about the biggest kick butt thing I have ever ridden in... BB torque and power that acts like a small block...) It jst flat out moves!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Confused

Sweet, I was thinkin about doing this for my Ram. How the 3.58 stroke with about a 216 dur. with a .450 lift cam sound? Don't want to go too crazy, just a little.

L.C.D.