Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Default 67 Plymouth Satelite

i recently found a 67 satelite 2 door hard top with a 318 stick automatic and am thinking about purchasing it . I was wondering what the major problems areas were ?? Also whats the biggest and widest wheels and tires I could fit under it? I was thinking about using the new Cragar SS 17x10 in the rear because I can get a deal on a set would the fit???

PS where would I find a fiber glass hood with the hemi scoop for this car???
Old 06-20-2002, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

The Hemi scoop would be found between the fenders of a Hemi Satellite.

I've heard that you can now get that nece chrome Cragar in 25 by 30. Unfortunately, you would need to delete your third member to do it. The upside is that you would have REALLY big chrome Cragars!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

My sat is rusted on both rear quarters (worse on right) check the rear wheel lips(?) for bondo or something like that. On my right side the rust runs from the wheelwell to the bumper.
Also the widest i've seen one a belvedere/satellite/gtx (haven't seen many) is a 255. You could probably go bigger, but im not sure how much. It would take some work to fit a 10" wheel though.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:04 AM
Inactive User

The hardest thing is finding good trim and chrome parts with the 67 SateLLite.Side trim is only 67 and only SateLLite.I've looked for years for these peices.Tail lights can be found new[always cracked] They are same as GTX about 175.00.The trunk trim pannel can be hard to find also. Good luck on 10 inch wheels, 67 SateLLite has very small rear wheel wells. But can be done by relocating springs and tubbing wheel wells.A lot of the trim can be repaired but that's expensive too[Or taken off completely but hate to see this]. Good luck Tim
Old 06-24-2002, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

TrxR,

Good choice in body style! I have the '66 Satellite, and mine has been modified to take care of some of the issues addressed above. If you want wide tires you will have to modify the wheel wells with some sort of tub. That gives you the option of any width of tire/wheel combo. As far as body parts, they are a little hard to find, but with some research they are out there. With the internet access to salvage yards you can find most parts.

The RO23 hood scoop is available on the aftermarket, through Kramer Specialties?? I'm not completely sure of the name, but they advertise in the magazines so you should be able to find them without much trouble. Good luck!!
Old 06-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Love the 67's My cousin had a convertible GTX 67. Neat car!!!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Inactive User

I have a 67 GTX and a Satellite. I have been watching for tire size info for the last several years and here are responses from several other guys that address your tire size question.

I run Weld Rodlite 8" with 4.5"BS on the back. I've used BFG T/A 275/50-15's, BFG Drag Radials 275/50-15's and Hoosier QTP's 26x11.5"-15. You can't go any wider than 11.25" section width without changing your backspacing or moving the fender well lip out a little. Alternatively you, can move the spring hanger and run more backspacing or even better run a modified shortened differential housing.
However, for street trim 10.5" is plenty of tire width. Mine is a 3.55 ratio so I stuck with 26" tires. I'll be going to a 29" tire for racing in the very near future and consequently going to a 4.10 or 4.30 depending on engine demands.

Here is my experience with wheel/tire fit on my 66 Belv. (At stock ride height)
I bought my car with 15x8 Cragar SST's and 235/60's on it. The backspace was 4.25" and the tires would rub on the stock sized quarter panel wheel lip. Not always, just during moderate speed turning, or if I had passengers in the back seat.
Then I picked up some 275/60's and some 15X7 cop rims. The cop rim backspacing is 4.5" and the narrower rim along with the slightly more backspacing allowed me to fit the fatter tires with more clearance than the first setup. I had about 1/2" between tire/wheel lip and about 1/4" between tire/leafspring. Looked very nice from behind. Good luck.

My buddies 67 GTX has a Goodyear 28x9 slick on a 7" rim. I think the BS is 4 1/2" but I can check with him to make sure.

After some careful measuring, we found out that about a 275-60 on 4.5" BS was about the max.Tried a buddies pair of 295-60,8" rim W/4.5 BS,they cleared the springs by 1.5" and were flush with the lip of the wheel opening.

I run 28x9x15 M/T slicks on a 15x8 Cragar Dragstar with 4.5 backspace. This fits in the wheel well with no problems, but getting it into place will require you to raise the car so the rear drops as much as possible. I had 3" wheel studs in my axles because of hte rim design, and with those and the low wheel lip, I couldn't get the sidewall bulge past them without either deflating the tire, or disconnecting the shocks.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:47 PM

Cool

Hydro...

I was at the web site of Year One last night and noticed that they carry a "Super Stock" hood scoop designed for 65-67's. Looks like the WO23/RO23 hood scoop. It's made of fiberglass and has internal mounting tabs built in. The price is very reasonable...just under $100.00.

They say it's about 3.75" tall at the front edge and tapers down towards the rear edge. It's almost 36" wide at the leading edge, and tapers narrower towards the rear.

The only thing noted as different from original is that the opening is pointed slightly forward instead of the originals straight up and down. And of course that it's made of fiberglass instead of metal.

Amost forgot the part number... BB602

Later,
Mopar_Maniac
Old 06-24-2002, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

Try Sled city[grove city,Ohio] fiberglass for the hood or hood w/scoop number is 1 614- 875- 0369 Bought their 67 Hemi scoop very good quality compared to others.