Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-26-1999, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

Question

Okay here it goes:

I have a '73 charger se with the factory slap stick auto on the floor. I need to replace the ignition switch and the key cylinder. I also have a real bad squeek some where in the column too. I took it to the shop and I was told that the steering column needed to come out in order to fix it. the info in my haynes manual is way too general to help me out. Do I have to remove the column to get to the switch? How do I get the cylinder lock out? Any info or ideas would be a BIG help. I have to hot wire my car every time I want to take it anywhere and it is becoming a real drag.
Thanks
Old 12-26-1999, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

Ok, here goes. This is from the 1972 Dodge Service Manual, and my memory of my 72 Charger's column, so it may be a little off because of the key removal lever thing, whatever it's called. Anyway, first disconnect the battery. Next, crawl under the dash and remove the three nuts that hold the steering column bracket to the underside of the dash, but don't loose the funny large washers, or brake the white plastic adjustment sliders. Unbolt the bracket from the column, and remove the two screws that hold the wiring trough. Then you need to pull the steering wheel. Get the horn pad or the spoke bezel off, and disconnect the horn wire from the wheel. Take off the lock nut, and either use a steering wheel puller, or be real careful and smack the bottom of it with a soft mallet on alternating sides until you work it off. Don't do the dumb thing of sitting in front of it and pulling or beating on it with your forearms. You would be surprised how many people have broken their nose from this, lol! After removing the steering wheel, you have to remove the turn signal lever. It's held by one screw and then it falls out the side or the column. Next take out the screws that hold the turn signal switch, unplug it from under the dash and remove the switch. Next remove the snap ring from the top of the shaft. Then take out the screws that hold the upper bearing retainer. This is actually the top part of the column housing. The bearing inside may be the cause of your squeak as well. It should hang ok on the turn signal switch wires ok to. You should be able to get the steering lock plate, drive out the pin holding it to the shaft and take it off now. Next is the lock lever guide plate and a little ignition key lamp assembly, if so equipped. At this point make sure the cylinder is the locked position and fine a piece of wire or a small screwdriver or similar object and push it in the hole in the housing where the lock cylinder and the switch meet. This is a small hole that should have been covered by the bottom of the lock lever guide plate. While pushing in, pull the lock cylinder out of the side of the column. Remove the three screws holding in the switch, and unplug it from under the column and slide it out. Installation is pretty much the reverse. As I said, if you have the "Push to remove key" thing, it may add an extra set or two that I'm not aware of. Pay attention to the connections where the turn signal switch and ignition switch plug in. These are famous for getting hot from resistance and melting the wires all to crap. Make sure the terminals are clean, and do what I do. Pack the connectors with dielectric grease. This is a job that can be done inside of an hour if you have done it before, since you haven't, leave about two hours and go slow. Double check your connections and your screws and bolts. When you are going down the road is a bad time to realize you forgot something. Steering is important!
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-28-1999, 02:30 PM
Inactive User

Hey man, thanks for the info. Once I get the heater core back in I am going to tackle the steering column.
brian