Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-23-2002, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Question M=J Body?

P4529437

Will these headers fit my '87 Chrysler 5th Ave?

They fit my Challenger good, but when I eyeball them up to my M-body they just dont seem like they are going to fit, and I dont want to spend all the time taking the car apart to find out that the headers dont fit.

I have tried looking for aftermarket headers but NO-ONE has anything AT ALL for M-bodies.. : (

Also, any M-body experts that want to give me their e-mail or something to help me out now and then? =]
Old 06-24-2002, 02:22 AM

Anything for a Cordoba/Mirada SHOULD fit an M body. The cheap headers in the JC Whitney Catalog have a listing for F bodies and M bodies upto ~82 or so (when the 2 door ones were discontinued). The Summitt brand headers are supposed to fit aswell with minor tweaking.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:09 AM
Inactive User

Headers designed for E-B bodies will always work in the F/J/M Body. Because the torsion bars are in front of the motor and the E-B body headers are designed to clear the long. torsion bars... they give addtional room for you to work on things like the starter etc.

I run B-E Body headers in my Aspen but that is with a Big Block....

Check out Jason's Aspen/Volare Club for F/J/M Bodies.

http://www.geocities.com/indychamp
Old 06-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

thanks for the replies. : )
I'll get right to work and let you know how it went.

Also, I have another question...
will it be easy to find something like a 9 1/4 rear end out of a truck, and slap that baby in? What will I need to do to make it work? (ie leaf springs ect..) I know I'll probably need a new matched drive shaft but that is no problem, I know of a shop that will custom make me one for a decent price.

I currently have a 7 1/4 with 2.91 (about) gears.. it is worn and has a ton of play in it, (200,000 miles) so I wanted to make an upgrade, especially since I'm doing performance upgrades to the motor.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

Don't even bother with the 9 1/4... too heavy and not alot of stuff for performance... just keep your eyes open for a 68-71 B-body
8 3/4 rear end housing.... it is almost a bolt in... correct width.

You can bend the springs out to make the stock perches work but I would reweld on new ones in the correct spot ...

I can fit 275 -60 15 under my Aspen with factory 15 x 6 1/2 rallyes....

You will need a new driveshaft made... no big deal....

Plus they make tons of ratios and lots of stuff at swap meets for the 8 3/4....

I would also swap out the iso-crap stuff too.

I used the springs, shock plates out of a Dart... bought the Mopar extension front hangers for the SS springs with an F-body from MP(all SS springs use the dart front segment length)....

Works excellent and I can swap to SS springs if I want..

Remember that Schumacher has Big Block conversion mounts for your Fifth Ave.... now wouldn't that be a fun ride.....SLEEPER...LOL

Remember also that the M-body shares all driveline components with the F/J Body cars...... and because there were many M-body cop cars and taxis.. you can still find rear sway bars ( that will work on the 8 3/4 with a little playing) and large front brakes and bars in the wrecking yards...

All the cars in your class are : F/J/M Body
'76-80 Aspen, Volare,
'78 - '89 Caravelle, Diplomat, Fifth Ave, New Yorker
'80-83 Cordoba,Imperial,Mirada
Old 06-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

BB Conversion,

I have a dream that my car has on the side painted : "Plead to the 5th", and I'll drag it every weekend, (I do that anyways)

Underneath the stock looking hood is nothing other than a 426 HEMI!

I'll dust everyone off, and never tell them how I did it in my grandma's car (My Granny hadned the car down to me, hehe)

Now maybe if I can get a higher paying job it could be possible,
Old 06-24-2002, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

E-mail me at : indychamp@hotmail.com...

I'll give you the e-mail of a guy with a 4 door 11 second street driven Fifth Avenue with a small block... he could give you some pointers....
Old 06-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Cool what ive done

I took a 8.25 out of a van and stuck it under my 5th without cutting it. granted, its about 3" too wide so u welded the spring perches on top of the axle and now its all jacked up with 295/60-15 out back. I cuaght lots of flak from people here on the board but I dont care. it looks mean and I like it. really dont care what other people think. so............ do what YOU want to do
also ive got the cheap headman headers for "B & E" bodies on my 360. you have to remove the drag link from the steering to get them down in there. and you MUST, no matter what brand header you buy, remove or raise the engine! there is no other way to do it. sorry, experience talking here.
If you get a HEMI in a 5th, I want to see some pics and time slips, that would be awesome!!!!!!
5th
P.S. there is a guy called 3835th that has just that, a Big Block in a 5th
5th
Old 06-28-2002, 02:40 AM

there are several Ms around with Big Blocks. It's something interesting to think about, but I wouldn't actually go out and do it. An 8 1/4 in decent shape will be fine for what you're engine will be throwing at.