Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy No Spark - 70 383 RR

Greetings! While waiting for my new engine wiring harness (original in bad shape), a friend bypassed harness by running a jumper wire from +/battery to +/coil and connected distributor (single-point type) wire to -/coil. We started car several times via the starter relay using a screwdriver. A month later after installing a new clutch setup and exhaust system (still waiting for harness), we try and fire it up...nothing! Mind you, we're still using the current setup mentioned earlier, along w/starter relay and screwdriver.

We used a known good coil from a 70 GTX and still no spark; not even from the coil. Not electrically inclined when it comes to this sort of stuff, so I'm looking for any suggestions from you experts out there on what I need to do to get the spark back in my life...

Thanks in advance for any responses that will greatly be appreciated. Regards!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:24 PM
Inactive User

Stock coils aren't made to take continuous 12 volts, that's what the ballast resistor is for. By wiring it straight to the battery, you've probably burned it out. Or you could just have a loose wire.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:23 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for your response! Just using the temp setup to run car for less than a minute at a time (would this be enough to fry coil?). When I put this same coil in the 70 GTX it fired right up, just won't in the RR when I put it back. Again, just have two wires connected to coil as previously mentioned and all connections are tight. Would I need to run another jumper to ground, and how would I do this? Any other ideas! Again, thanks!
Old 06-29-2002, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

does it have electronic ignition? sometimes the box will be slightly loose at the firewall, hard to notice, the box has to ground on the firewall good for it to work at all..........
Old 06-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Haven't put on the elec ign yet. But, thanks to your's and 72Challenger's responses, it was a combination bad ground/loose wire. The ground wire coming out of distributor was the culprit...reseated it, rechecked other connections and walla, Runner fired right up. Man, this has given me the impetus to work on the R/T next (right after I take the 'X out for a cruise. Have a great Mopar weekend!!!