Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-22-1999, 02:53 AM
67furyman

I have a problem with the brakes on my 67 fury wagon I have replaced everything except the drums on the car with new parts except for the drums and master cylinder which was working just fine when I took it off my other 67 fury it was brand new last fall not a rebuilt one problem being when the car sits for a few days I have to pump the brakes up otherwise the pedal goes strait to the floor when I do pump them up they seem to hold just fine for the most part! the pedal feels firm but I do have to hit them a couple of times to bring them to the top! now the brake fluid (Dot 3) is still full in the cylinder I have bled these things to death and still no differance any ideas! thanks.
Old 12-22-1999, 04:28 AM
Inactive User

sounds like a bad master cylinder to me. Those are typical symptoms.
Old 12-24-1999, 10:11 AM
Inactive User

Simple!! your "drum" brakes are only out of adjustment,by pumping up the pedal you are causing the wheel cyl.s to push the shoes towards the drum,only problem here is the drum is too far away so after several pumps the shoes hit the drums and you get a good pedal..temporarily untill the return springs do their work and pull the shoes back and your back to low pedal status.The real problem is most likely weak return springs.after you pump it up they feel good for awhile..sorta and then slowly but surely they retract the shoes and the next morning..damn!! If you were to adjust them right after you drove it you would think the adj is fine(weak springs havent retracted them yet)but if you did it 1st thing in the morning b4 you touched the brake pedal you'd realize how far out they are.You should replace return springs every 50K.Hope this helps......PRO...
Old 12-24-1999, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

I have also had this problem on my 71 Charger and I have replaced everything, including the springs and master cylinder. After talking to a number of people, I have determined that it must be the needle in the proportioning valve. You might want to check this out on yours also.
Old 12-26-1999, 03:20 PM
Inactive User

If you haven't cleaned your drum brakes completely with spray brake cleaner its worth doing it. Use a whole can per drum. Your brakes will be less likely to stick or be sluggish in engaging or disengaging. Even if your brakes seem to be ok you will probably notice a difference.
Old 01-04-2000, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

Master cylinder check valve is bad.
Old 01-05-2000, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like a master cylinder, but if you replace it and still have the problem there is one other thing that will cause this. My 85 dodge had the same problem, I bled the brakes and they would work fine until I let it set for a day or two, then the problem would reoccur. I replaced the master cylinder 3 times, the brakes would work fine for a while then the problem would come back. I was going nuts, when an old mechanic (70 years old) said replace the wheel cylinders, I said I have, they are new, he said they are leaking, I said, no they are not, there is no visible leak on the backing plate or on the drum. He said they are not leaking fluid, they are pulling air into the system. Since this mechanic is my father, I did as he told me I've not had the problem since.
Old 01-05-2000, 09:02 AM
Inactive User

Sounds more like a leak than master. Have the system pressure bled and I bet a leak(s) shows up. My experience is if the master is bad it fails all the time. Pumping causes the air to compress that has leaked into the line. Thats why the pedal comes up.
Old 01-05-2000, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I agree, eihter air in the system or the liners adjusted too far form the drums. I wouldn't think that the proprtioning valve or the master cylinder are working improperly, they shouldn't act this way.