Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Inactive User

Default Camshaft Change

Saw on one of the Nascar sites that they were officially considering allowing Winston Cup teams to use roller cams next year. That would be one of the smartest, money saving moves they could make. It also would eliminate some of these engine changes these teams make. Premature camshaft wear is often sited as the reason for an engine change.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:43 PM

Makes sense, but for that reason, you gotta remember, you're talking about Nascar,lol! I expect they'll have to research carefully that it doesn't give anyone an advantage, except GM. Sorry, thats just my paranoid nature talking, but then again, not every other maker has been banned for several decades either. It is a good idea, if it saves the builders of the cars money, and makes the cars more reliable without interfering with race results, I'm all for it! This is the new millenium, they aren't using flatheads anymore either..
Old 06-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

Flatheads Forever-Sign on my shop wall says so-and parts hanging on my shop wall show it!

The Nascar teams have really carried the flat tappet camshaft to the extreme. First they use 50-60MM needle bearings for camshaft bearings, then they must use hardened steel billet camshafts to run on the needle bearings. But, the steel billet camshafts won't live under the extreme spring pressures they use to get the RPMs over 9000; So, they machine 1/4" wide grooves in the camshaft lobes and fill them with weld and then grind the lobe profiles. And these cams will usually last 500 miles. But, often times they don't and when they start to go down they go down very fast. The cams cost about $700 each, replaced after every race and the lifters for them are about $500, also replaced after every race.

The blocks have been (altered in the case of GM and Ford) designed for the cam to run in an oil bath to improve camshaft life.

Roller lifters are so much simplier!
Old 06-30-2002, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanborn
Flatheads Forever-Sign on my shop wall says so-and parts hanging on my shop wall show it!

Ooops, sorry sanborn! I meant in Nascar and racing, generally. Still a lot of of folks racing flatheads at vintage meets and the salt flats and other places. Have some 218 Mopar flattie sixes laying around myself, I may do something with one day.