Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-28-2000, 04:14 AM

Question

I'm going to look at a 73 Duster this weekend and would like to know if there is anything I should pay particular attention to on this model? The obvious no floors, trunk, large holes in the frame aside, what endemic problems do Dusters develop structuraly that might not be obvious? Cosmetics aren't of much of a concern but the basic structure is. BTW I live in Florida so rust is a problem down here.

I'm looking to build a fun cruiser-1/8 mile once in a while kind of car for the wife and I to playwith and will most likely put a warmed up 360 or slightly warmed up b/rb in it. I have no delusions of "Concours d'Elegance" restorations but we would like to build something "Sharp". We're open to suggestions but are most concerned about getting in over our heads regarding the basic platform. Thanks!

------------------
Growing Older . . . not Up!
Mike
Old 01-28-2000, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

I've owned a couple of Darts and a couple of Dusters. I've also parted out about 10 Dusters. Check for floor rot due to water leaks coming from the cowl to firewall seam, the wiper pivots, or the windshield gasket. Also look for rust rot on the cross-member where the torsion bars mount. I parted out a 360 Duster that must have been driven real hard and this is why I use sub-frame connectors now. The floor pan was cracked from side to side between the rocker panels from torsional twisting. The only part of the floor not cracked was an inch of metal on top of the transmission hump.

[This message has been edited by moparscott (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old 01-29-2000, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

I currently have a 75 Duster that I bought new. The problems I have encountered are the leaks around the windshield, leaks at the cowl shorting the ballast resistor on the firewall (carry a spare), torsion bar mounts.
Old 01-29-2000, 03:16 AM

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'd better take a mirror and stock up on RTV silicone. We've only got two seasons in SW Florida, Rainy and December!

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by RamChgr318 (edited January 28, 2000).]
Old 01-29-2000, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

I have had 2 dusters and the biggest problem i had with both were the winsheild wiper seals. They leaked and were degraded from years of abuse. But schumacher creative services has replcement kits about 12.00
when i got em. Year one also has them.

And if and when you get to the engine check
out summits engine kits i bought one for my 360 and they are a good kit for a good price
I currently am restoring a 76 duster so let me know if you need any parts.

Old 01-29-2000, 04:35 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks,
The car supposedly was a V8 car but now has a /6 auto in it, So there's gonna be an engine in its future. I'll check the vin# to make sure but even if its an original /6 car there's lots of alternatives out there to change it over. I'm going to look at it tomorrow (Sunday) and I'll let you all know what I find out for sure.

------------------
Mike
Old 01-31-2000, 03:10 AM

Well . . . dad burn it! The car is an an enigma, the undercarriage is in great shape, as are the floor pans and trunk. There is cowl rust, rust by the rear glass and the rear quarters a gone, quarter size rust holes in the doors and bondo on the roof, of all places. The car is an original /6 904 combo which is ok but the heater/fresh air system and controls are missing, the underdash wiring is spaghetti, and there are lots of interior plastic trim pieces missing as is the windshield moulding. The door panels are shot but all the glass is there and the windows roll up and down OK.

Maybe its me that's the enigma, I was hoping to see an OLD CAR that was just that, not one that had been molested quite so much. Asking price is 450.00, I can prob. get it for 400.00. ANY COMMENTS?

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by RamChgr318 (edited January 30, 2000).]
Old 02-02-2000, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Well for 400$ it sounds like a project
and I know about them. in fact thats was the price of my car at the beginning. Here is my advice. frame and floor pans solid. you have a good base to work with. quarter panels always rust out. repair panels or whole new quarters are avaliable from year one or the paddock. if the spaghetti wireing is too much just order a new harness from year one
as for interior panels. what do you need ill check the shed and get back to you.
The doors can be patched or new ones found no problem.

If you need to know anything else E mail me
I have been through 2 Dusters from wheels to roof and bumper to bumper And it Cant be as Bad as my 76 was at first. It runs and has an interior right?

And remember you need A-Body First.
Old 02-02-2000, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the comeback! Part of the enigma of the car is something didn't look quite right for a 73 Duster and after finding a Magic VIN# decoder ring on the net I went back to look even harder at the car and it turns out to be a 74 Dart Sport, Duh . . . no wonder it didn't look right to me. I did buy the car for 375.00 and drove it home. Its got a good running /6 and a schetchy auto trans (shifts hard) but the kickdown linkage was off so . . . I'll straighten that out later. The mice in the trunk weren't real happy about being moved and bailed out through the pass quarter in my driveway, that didn't make the wife too happy with my new toy but our cat was! :-) I found a 73 Dart in a wrecking yard near by and the heater box and controlls are in it. Somewhere I saw a parts interchange book or something like that, as I have NO earthly idea what interchanges to what in the A bodies some F body stuff will fit too but I don't have a clue as to what!!! I'll take some picks of this little dear and post them as I go. BTW the car is painted (badly too)in a dull Caterpiller Yellow with some god awful attempt at black accents! This too will change.

------------------
Mike
Old 02-02-2000, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hope your project works out! I thought you fellas that far south didn't worry much about rust, unlike us Northern Fools who drive on Salt & snow beds for 4 months a year. Ya might want to check with your state laws goverening Title & registration... If this thing has a bunch of vin#'s on it it might be HOT???? or not even belonging to the guy you gave the $$$ too. You might want to add up all the little parts up ie wireing, heater controls, body work ect It might cost some bucks!!! where you might be able to find a complete car for the added cost & LESS headache...
FYI SJS440 just shmoozed a 73 duster from a guy in Pittsburg PA Ran like a top didn't need much body work & the interior was decent for the age /6car. Had 2 new vintiques small bolt rallys & 2 mopar ones, got a set of 360 headers to boot. sold the headers for $50, wheels for I think $400 or so. A new 440 & tranny is on its way. some body work & paint & she will be a cruizer. Spent a grand on it total invest $550. & not all the piddley work on the interior & body.

Good luck
Old 02-03-2000, 05:50 AM

Three blocks from me is a tidal river and this car lived on Sanibel Island for 10+ years surrounded by SALT WATER. Hell in costal Florida we prob have more exposure to salt in a year than 5 yankee winters will give you. The car has a good vin# and clean title I just didn't have the sheet with me and couldn't remember the letter codes. The guys who spotted it for me told me 73 I read 74 off the vin but they said Duster too but it didn't look right, quad tail lights, pointy grill with no badging anywhere. That's where I got confused. Hey I wanted a project, now I got one. Strange part of the world I live in, the town is covered up with Dodge trucks, Ramchargers and Traildusters but hardly any Mopar cars, older ones that is and there aren't many in the junkyards either. In three yards I found 1 Aspen Wagon, 1 Dart, and 1 early 80's Imp.

------------------
Mike
Old 02-04-2000, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

whatever You do dont add up the cost of a restoration. If i did that i would most likely have a heart attack. Just get out your wrenches and start in. As the old saying goes. The end justifies the means and if the end result is another mopar on the highway. Then Any steps taken are justified.
I took a lot of heat from my friends when i brought my project home. But when i got it running they were always wanting a ride somewhere. If you need any help locating parts or need diagrams for the wireing let me know i probably have a book that has them in it.

If it's not MOPAR
It's nothing

Old 02-04-2000, 01:53 AM
Inactive User

I parted out a '74 Dart Sport a few years ago and have a complete dark green interior with woodgrain on the door panels. It had a fold down rear seat and I saved everything. Let me know if you need anything for the '74. moparscott@webtv.net
Old 02-04-2000, 04:09 AM

Thumbs up

Wow . . . I had no idea this topic would generate so much support and offers to help!!!! THANKS TO ALL!!!!

I have been partial to Mopars for a lot of years and to the A and B bodies particularly. Back in 66 I took delivery of a Belvedere Street Hemi 4 gear with the full racing package. I built and helped build several "Hot Rods" by then, shucks we ruined 3 classsic cars in one weekend! Pulled the 6 out of a 54 Vette put in a J2 Olds motor and put the 6 from the Vette in my 54 BelAire 2dr HT . . . Steeerike Three! I sold a 60 Vette Fuelie (315 HP)to buy the Street Hemi and never as much as looked back. A 62 Coronet 383 3 on the tree showed me the light when it stayed with the Vette through my first three gears, I asked the guy to drive it and I was hooked, I had to have a Mopar. I had that Hemi for 2 years until the economic preasures of fatherhood got the better of me and I sold her but for two years I was the terror of Northwest Indiana and the South Side of Chicago. I cried when I sold her and now I read that my Hemi was one of 70some built I want to scream, not for the 30K it would be worth but I know I'll never have another like her, O well . . . such is life.

Between my Dad and I, we have 6 Mopars from my 74 DS to his 2000Neon, we own 9 vehicles total (2 Mercs and a Caddy thrown in) and are we car nutz? Yes, always have been and always will be.

No I won't add up the cost of this project and I really don't care either cause its not about money, its about the "Love of the Game"! Now . . . what High Impact color goes with dark green?

------------------
Mike
Old 02-04-2000, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

SubLime should go great with that green interior!

------------------
1970 392 Hemi Cuda
Old 02-04-2000, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

sounds good. sublime with black striping
an if you are into performance look. a hood scoop.