Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Many Cubic Inches

Default Racing Inner-Tubes...Worth it?

Hi,
Just ordered a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street tires, the ones that have a few lines in them but are still DOT approved.
The question around the tire shop is if racing tubes are really necessary (the M.T. website sais they are necessary). Some said yes, some said no. Before I decide, what do you think...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Inactive User

I think M.T. ought to know their own tires. Use the tubes.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Inactive User

Anything other than natural rubber tubes is asking for a flat in a drag type tire, that sees a lot of sidewall movement. I have used pass car tubes, and always had tiny tears after 100 or so passes. Back then, the pass tubes were only $10-15 each, and the natural tubes were still $80-100 a pair.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

My M-H Racemasters were tube type, and I ran them tubeless for a while. They started seeping air through the sidewalls, and I got tired of putting air in them every couple of days so I finally broke down and bought some racing tubes from Summit.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Default tubes

It is your choice. but is it worth the risk? If you ever had a slick go down on the big end you wouldn`t take that chance. But what ever you choose be sure to use plenty of baby powder in the tire. Remember go as fast as you want .But do it safely. that way you can come back to play another day. happy trails.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Question Tu_be or not Tu_be

I think you get the idea that everyone trust the tubes that are designed for racing. Back in my stupid days, a guy gave me a set of dirt track tires. They were soft compound and to my suprise they were wrinkle wall. I had them mounted with street tubes and destroyed the tubes and tires my first time to the track. Guess which way I'd vote?
I'm glad I lived through those years and even more glad I didn't get anyone else hurt.
Tarrbabe
Old 07-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

The thing about tubes that blows is the screws that have to go with them. If you are even considering DOT slicks, that seems to indicate that you have a street car, otherwise you would just get the drags, right?

I run those same ET streets on my charger without the screws or tubes and ran 13 flat with no trouble (13psi in them) A friend who has a vette that run's 10's on the squeeze and pulls the front wheels off the ground has them and he does not run the screws /tubes either.

If you have more of a drag car, why not do them? but for a street car with decent rims, I would not want to drill them. You could do what I did before I got the ET streets, and get junkyard rims and go to town.

All of this is a moot point if your local track requires them, then you know what to do.