Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-10-2002, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes Crossville Reopening!

You just can't figure things out. Hohenwald drops the late models cars because they only had 6 cars show for the last race. Highland Rim drops the late models 'cause they were only getting 6-8 cars. a week. The Nashville track only had 13 late models last week. I bet that looked strange on a 5/8 mile track. Just when things were kinda slowing down, Crossville is planning on reopening. Admitedly, it is supposed to be a better facility than Baxter and Golden Mountain, both in about a 15 mile radius from each other, but I can't figure it. Supposedly, Crossville will run Fridays and some selected other dates, but how many dirt tracks can you put in a given area? Also, today a Pittman's Race Shop, I heard that another dirt track is opening up in the middle Tennessee area. Has anyone got more info on this?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Inactive User

OK, here's the story on Crossville. Built in the Mid 80s, it was considered one of the nicest tracks in the country(if not THE nicest). Very successful for 4-5 years, purchased by a local businessman(?), who promptly drove it into the ground in the early 90s. It sat idle for a few years, purchased by the Branum family in about 97, with plans to run it on Friday to parallel with their other track(Atomic) on Saturday night. The untimely death of the senior Mr. Branum(He was going to run it, his son runs Atomic) meant that Crossville would never open. So, it has sat idle for several years.

Along comes Ozzie Altman, everybody knows Ozzie-former voiceman, PR director for Havatampa, President of Victory Lane Communications, handles PR work for most of the dirt racing bignames, etc. Apparently he is going to promote Crossville! Don't know what financial arrangement he has with Branum(don't care). So they are going to try to make it go again.

The track is close to I-40 about midway between Knoxville and Nashville . They will use essentially Southern All Star rules(with some alterations for all iron engines like run at Atomic). don't know about the tire rules!

Their schedule is to open on Saturday, July 20th for a full program, then the remainder of their races will be on Friday nights for the rest of the summer.

The track is 1/3 mile(a little longer than Atomic) banked about like Atomic, and is as fast as Atomic(I think I remember Late Model times in the 12s-but my memory is fading like my hair).

We will probably go up there on Fridays, it used to be a very nice track. The first dirt track built for TV, lighting was great, good visability from everywhere, track is wide, used to be great red clay, etc. If done right, they could have 30-40 Super Lates on a regular basis. It all depends on payoff!
Old 07-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Wink July 20th Sounds Good

July 20th should be a good opener. Atomic will host the UDTRA the night before. A few of the local UDTRA boys may stay and run Crossville. Anyway, I am real excited about the possiblity of having a quality dirt track in middle Tennessee. Do you think that they reopened the track because Golden Mountain was getting a UDTRA race or that Baxter is claiming to have the WOA scheduled for later this year? Maybe the owwners didn't want some local tracks stealing their thunder as being the only track in the area (Atomic) that draws the big name drivers. I have E-mailed the track owner for the rules. If I don't have to buy special tires or a NASCAR liscense, I'll run.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Too Good To Be True!

Talked with Steve Elmore today at Full Throttle, and he said that Crossville was not opening this Saturday, July 20th! Not sure what the problem is (probably money), but they may wait another week or maybe not open at all. Bummer
Old 07-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

Default Change in Plans

Talked with the folks at Atomic Speedway today. They said that Crossville will reopen August 2nd and will continue on a Friday night basis. They will run the late model, mini stock and mini sprint classes, but no street stock! Bummer! Still I can't wait to see the track, 'cause I have heard so many nice things about it.