Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-10-2000, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Question

i just signed up on this bb and so far i like what i see. except that there are too many people who's favorite car is not the Road Runner. i'm not bashing other mopars! so dont reply with nasty messages! i was just wondering who out there has the same fetish for the unrivaled style and raw power of the redesigned '71 Road Runner? note that his was the first year that they really changed the body styling and it was also the last year that it was available with the almighty 426 HEMI engine. which i am itching to get my hands on. i dont care what anyone says hemi beats a wedge anyday. well, just wondering! what do you think? Road Runner? Charger? Dart? Satellite? GTX? Barracuda? gimme your opinion!

Old 02-11-2000, 03:42 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I never really like that body style til I had one. Well actually never really looked at it twice til I owned one. Now I wish i wouldnt have gotten rid of it. I am trying to find another like it. I had a 72 Satellite Sebring Plus which was design dentical to the Roadrunner. In 73 they changed the design and i dont like them they only made that body style for two years 71 and 72 for Roadrunners, GTX's and Satellite Sebrings Plus' The regular Satellite's had a different body style. My other favorites are the 67 Charger Fastback and 64 Valiant Barracuda and the 67-69 Barracudas and the 71 Hemi 'Cuda and last but not least a 69 1/2 Roadrunner.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383
Working on adding EFI

[This message has been edited by ChristianCuda (edited February 11, 2000).]
Old 02-11-2000, 07:45 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Anything with a V-8 and a stick I like..hard to find one that needs restored, thats worth restoring however.I usually find one that has been sitting in someones yard for 10 years that they have been telling themselves they would get to. And by the time that they decide to sell its far to late. This has happened only a few times however, a 1970 V-code RR 4 gear and a supposid 68 barracuda BB with a stick...Made me sick to see both of them
Old 02-12-2000, 06:01 AM
Electrician Dude

The Roadrunner was my favorite until I read the production numbers for it and the GTX. My favorite body style is 68&9 and the RR and GTX are essentially the same car. I wanted that body style and the year had to be 69 (the same year I was made). I really love them both. Nothing turns my head faster than a B5 blue Roadrunner/GTX. That is, nothing without blonde hair.
Old 02-12-2000, 06:04 AM

My 1st NEW car was a 68 hemi RR B5
SER# RM21J8A183252
I wonder where it is now??????????????
Old 02-12-2000, 04:12 PM
Inactive User

i got a story, i placed an ad on some website like forever ago that i was looking for a 71 Road Runner, and awhile later i got an e-mail from this lady in mississippi who's got a 71 with a 440 magnum engine, interior a littleworn but will cost less than 600 to redo through say year one who is the most expensive when it comes to interiors the body is solid without any rust through and just a few spots of rust on the surface. it also comes with 2 extra doors 1 exta hood 1 headlight bezel 1window some cowls and a front clip. all this she wanted to sell for $2000 dollars. well i just had a son on september 20, 1999 so i didn't have the cash at the time. so i told her, sorry, but no cigar. which i was loath to do. we kept in touch over the internet and became friends, and at the beginning of this month she tells my girlfriend to tell me its only $1500 now! so i got back to her and we talked and finally i'm going out to mississippi in 2 weeks to pick up my new car and parts all for $1250! is that great or what?
Old 02-13-2000, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

I have a 1970 Road Runner and as far as cars go,nothing beats it,it's always been my favorite car.
Old 02-13-2000, 04:52 PM

the first car i ever went fast in was a '69 runner. had a non-original 426 wedge and 4-speed (it was drag raced by my uncle before my dad bought it) one day ('73) the throttle spring broke while mom was driving and she didnt think to push in the clutch till we were over 120.. LOL i was 2 years old she said i kept yelling "slow down mommy, slow down" now look who's yelling LOL then when i was 12 my cousin owned a 71 runner with a 383(not real nice though)...that really was the first time i heard the statement "mopar or no car", and i've been saying it ever since i still wish i knew what happened to that '69.
Old 02-13-2000, 05:05 PM

Great story-------glad your MOMs left foot was strong enough to push in the clucth or we might not be talking to you now. Other than the panic she experienced at the time she should now know and understand why we all have the need for speed.
Old 02-13-2000, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Wile E, I'm jealous of your find. Very nice.
I must say I'm partial to 71's also since I own one. In fact here it is!

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old 02-13-2000, 11:17 PM
Inactive User

thats a beautiful car jeremy what engine is in it? and river we're all glad youre not dead. i used to own a 71 satellite sebring plus with a 318 and that was my fist mopar, and the deciding factor in my search for a good muscle car. i thought it was a roadrunner when i first saw but upon closer inspection i found the 318 and the vin plate which i decoded. much to my dissappointment, it was a satellite, but it was agreat car nonetheless. i recieved it from my girlfriends father who was divorcing his wife and said he didnt have the time or money for it. well, one day some wires got toasted under the dash and i asked him to help me fix it since i know nothing about electrical systems. well, he came down while i was at work, fixed the wires, took all my crap outof it and took it to georgia with him. needless to say i was royally pissed.my girlfriends mopther is taking the car from him in court, he's got 90 days to deliver it here, but she has decided that she wants to keep it. so i found my road runner which i'm picking up in a week
Old 02-14-2000, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

It's a 383 with a slapstick. Email is Jeremy71@wtvl.net if you ever want to talk 71's!. I'd like to see some pics of your car after you pick it up.
Old 02-14-2000, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

The 71 Plymouth RR has my vote, hands down. It was the 1st car I ever bought. I didn't like it as much as the 70, ( which was really what I was looking for at the time), but I'm much happier with the 71. Unfortunately, I rolled it about a year after I bought it. It sat for 8yrs under a cover in the back yard, while I went through more, challengers, chargers, and cudas than I can remember,( happily the only one that got wounded was the road chicken). I recently finished getting it fixed up for road duty. I will have to tear it down one more time,( as soon as I can find a roof with a factory sunroof cut in it) and finish off the little stuff. I know I made the right descision to save it,( I can't tell you how many times I was told I'd never get it right,it wasn't worth it, Wadda thinkin it's a mopar for christ sake!!),It brings a grin every time I see it. All Black and very intimidating, and served up with a heaping dish of crow for the ford and Chebby boys who doubted me. So it was worth it, that car has the looks of a fighter aircraft, ( the F4 Phantom was a design inspiration for that car), curves and bulges in all the right places, and with Chrysler power under the hood, how could it not be a favorite?? I just love taking it out and parking it. It never fails to draw a crowd.
Old 02-15-2000, 01:17 AM

I have had about 6 different 72 Roadrunners. I just love them. My dream car which I own now is a 72 Roadrunner/GTX with a 440 6 pack.
I looked for this car for about 10 years. It is Ralley red with a Black Vinyl top and Black Buckets with Console. It has Am\Fm with Cassette. Air Grabber, Power Sunroof, Rear window Defroster. I can't wait to finish the Resto on it and Get it out.

Larry
Old 02-15-2000, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

Moparlar, thats not one of those super rare on of a handful made 6bbl's that were made in 72 is it? If is got any pics posted anywhere?
Old 02-15-2000, 01:37 PM

Yes it is an original 72 6 pack car of which only a very few were made. I have seen a charger and heard of another one but that is all I know of. There are no pics posted yet as it needs a total resto which will be started this spring

Larry
Old 02-16-2000, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

Just curious, does it have a blue engine like the rest of 72's? Is the air cleaner lid orange like the 71 6bbl's?
Old 02-16-2000, 01:42 AM
Inactive User

i'm glad i'm not the only one out there with a fetish for this particular car, and i have the pics that she sent me when i first asked about it, i'll send em to ya in a minute. i wanna see all your cars send me pics at stu12_cs@hotmail.com, i love to see em and i cant wait to get mine. the road runner that i'm getting used to be a 383 with a slapstick, but some where along the line it got ditched for the 440 4bbl.
Old 02-16-2000, 03:23 AM

Jeremy,

Yes the Engine is Blue. And The Air cleaner is Orange.

Larry
Old 02-16-2000, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

Haven't got your pics yet!Jeremy71@wtvl.net
Old 02-16-2000, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

on their way!
Old 02-20-2000, 05:56 AM
Inactive User

hi wile e killer,
the first car i can remember riding in was a 73 limelite green road runner my dad owned with a 340. i'm glad to hear you found one in mississippi, this is where i live. it is hard to find roadrunners or any other type mopar muscle, besides darts and dusters, here. i just recently bought my dream car,68 383 rr, but had to go to alabama to find one in fair condition and in my price range =). anyways, good luck with your new toy.
Old 02-21-2000, 01:12 PM
Inactive User

hey 383rrwill,
i live just south of alabma in florida. i'll be out there to pick up my car, i found a trailer to haul it on so i don't have to drive it. i'm coming out there next wednesday. i gotta lotta work to do on it but it will only take 2-3 grand to get it bac kto showroom condition. i cant wait to get my hnds on it.