Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-21-1999, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

A friend wants to put a sb 350 chevy
in a charger. I said it would be
better to put a 383 in. he thinks
that the 383 woul be to expencive to
build up to about 600hp. Queston #1
can a 350 chevy be easaly put into a
charger? #2 would a 383 be much more
expencive then te 350 to aquire
upwords of 600kp?

Old 12-21-1999, 08:13 PM
Inactive User

A Chevy motor in a mopar huh?I think I need to go to the bathroom and puke!
Old 12-21-1999, 08:19 PM

Do the Charger a favor and push it off a cliff before your buddy ruins it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as the cost goes. It is the same old saying YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
MOPAR OR NO CAR
Old 12-21-1999, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

This is a sad thing to see. As if it weren't bad enough to see fine Mopar street rods with GM(Generic Motors) and Ford drivetrains in them all the time. I hate to even see anyone use a Ford 9" rear in a Mopar. To me, making a hybrid like this will alienate you from both sides. You will have a freak that both Mopar and Chevy owners will laugh at and never accept.
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
P.S. Sorry for my strong opinions, but I hate this idea!
~El~
Old 12-22-1999, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

Your friend seriously needs a friend. Keep him away from sharp objects; he has serious difficulty making intelligent decisions. Suggest he get a Chevy and he won't have to consider such a silly question.
Old 12-22-1999, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

your friend is a TRAITOR to all mopars and deserves to drive a hyundai.
Old 12-22-1999, 03:40 AM
Inactive User

Ok, it seems we all agree on this one. I will say this, it's his car, let him do what he wants, but for all the pain and hassle of fabricating new mounts, transmission adaptor or crossmember, headers, wiring, and all the other BS, you could save a ton of time and money by building the 383. Also, as far as build up is concerned, check out "Engine Racing Costs" under "Racing Your Vehicle" in the Mopar Engines Manual. A big block Mopar is more capable of staying together with 600 horsepower than any small block Chevy. The differences in the bottom end design speak for themselves. What are you going to do with this car that you need 600 HP to do it, anyway?
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-22-1999, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

Since it's christmas, I think you should buy your friend a christmas present, a 350. A real mopar big block from the late 50's, that would fit his charger with no problems and make at least 600chevyhorsepower.
Old 12-23-1999, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

Dude I recommend INTENSE PSYCHOTHERAPY!!! you know where they said AIDS came from? someone had sex with a monkey,what your perverted friend is suggesting is going to produce the same results only with a car,its twisted,sick and wrong!! Look I'll spell out the advantages of running a 383 Mopar vs 350 shivvy, forged crank vs cast, forged rods vs cast, forged main caps vs cast, high nickel content block vs low nickel content block, heads that dont crack vs heads that do, perfect bore vs stroke relationship vs bad bore vs stroke relationship, 2.08,1.74 valves vs 1.94,1.60 valves, heat treated camshaft vs cast camshaft, steel gear drive for oil pump vs plastic drive, external oil pump vs internal oil pump, no core shift vs lots of core shift, more displacement,more power,it bolts right in,it hauls more ass!its a way better design, shivvys might as well be made in japan theyre PURE JUNK from a design standpoint,now you know why theyre a little cheaper to build. Get your buddy and a mopar camshaft and a shivvy camshaft and go out and throw them as high in the air as you can,let them hit the pavement, the shivvy will break into 3 pieces right quick,the mopar wont ever break!!!!!!!!! DODGE DEPEND ON IT(dont ever ask me such a stupid question again).................PRO....

[This message has been edited by PRO (edited December 23, 1999).]
Old 12-24-1999, 02:13 PM

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Chevy's....nuff said.
Old 12-24-1999, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

i had a freind who was looking to buy a challenger, cool ,right!!!!! well i found one for him, 72.... was getting ready to hook him up with the owner..... and then it happened...... he told me he was going to swap in a piece of shevy motor, course the guy still has the challenger and my freind is still looking for a project to put the 350 into.......i tried to sell him a trash can that all the parts would fit into......dont even think about this swap or your freind will be the joke of the world...... MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!!!!
Old 12-24-1999, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

i always heard stories about slow ass chargers, now i know where they came from!!!! why would any one in his right mind, (damn i forgot we were talking about a bowtie bozo, and not even a bright one at that!!!!) want to put a a long stroke 350 timebomb in a mopar, when a 383 has a shorter stroke, stronger block, better crank, better cam design, better rods, oil-pump you can change in 5 min. intake you can change in about as much time, with out draining water or changing your timing,and chevies are easy to work on ! yeah an i heard a rat was in top fuel(NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) an even has a pan to keep the hot oil off the bottom of it, can be stroked to almost 450c.i., useing junkyard parts and a little smarts (oh i think i see your problem there bozo) all i can say is you'll have one slow as hell mopar, but the best looking bowtie your bozo buddies will ever see!!!!! but hey it's your buddies car what a DAMN SHAME!!!!!! to all my new found real mopar friends merry christmas!! GILBO OUT
Old 12-24-1999, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Is it April 1st allready? dcplr434, no a chivy 350 will not ever fit in a '72 Charger(at least not in my book!). Please get your friend some help, I think he might be better off actually owning a chevy. I also don't think he needs 600h.p. If he's considering a swap as silly as this, he may also try to swap in some of those really "trick" chevette brakes! And that's WAY to scary for me! You are obviously the one with some sense here, so you are going to have to step in and do what you can to prevent this kind of madness. BTW, why do you think chevy even has a 350? Maybe chevy of the 60's was copying off Mopar of the 50's? Coincidence? I think not!

On a lighter note though, I hope you, and everyone else on this BB has a merry Christmas and a happy (and safe) new year!
Old 12-24-1999, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

don't ever put a 350 in a charger. The charger would be better with a blown 440, he could get 650hp and still get 8mpg at 10:1 compression. or he should check out the Mopar Performance 528ci Hemi. It has 610hp, 650 lb-ft of torque. NEVER USE BRAND X CRAP IN A MOPAR!
Old 12-24-1999, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

Has your chevy friend ever raced a mopar? They are all talk until you blow them away dollar for dollar. A friend of mine always put down mopar until we raced. He had an 85 Camaro with a 350 and I had the 75 Duster with a 360. He had more money into his motor (Dart heads too) and a lighter, more aerodynamic car and I still blew him away. Heck tell him to put a built 440 into his car. Even my chevy friend admits that 350's are junk. He switched to a 327 because they last longer. The 350's longer stroke is too hard on the cheap chevy crank. Not to mention their camshaft problems. I hope you can change your friend's mind. What a way to screw up a car too! Things that make you go hmmmmmm!
Old 12-24-1999, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

ARRRRGH!! That's like putting vinyl siding on the White House!! It would destroy the whole character of the car. - RR
Old 12-24-1999, 08:09 PM

Why the hell would anybody be as stupid as to put a 350 in a Charger?? I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would glady take the Charger off his hands and give him a Chevette in return. He can go all out and do the aluminum frame thing and get a 350 in it! At least then he'd have something to talk about (to GM people who really care) and would still be able to get up in the morning and hop into a car that wouldn't be vandalized! Might aswell get a 'FREE TO GOOD HOME' sign made, after he's done that's all the car will be worth. For the amount it would cost to even do the swap he could get a nicely built up 383 in there!
Old 12-24-1999, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

You've got to be kidding. That idea just plain sucks.
Old 12-24-1999, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Dr. Frankenstein is alive and mad as ever. At the end of the movie didn't the towns people burn the monster?
Old 12-24-1999, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

350's make a great plant pot,and thats it.what a waste.
Old 12-25-1999, 12:06 AM

Come on people, let this guy put that 350 in his Charger. Just make sure he puts it in the trunk and uses heavy enough chain so that when he pushes out the "anchor" it doesn't come loose.
Old 12-25-1999, 09:14 AM
Inactive User

600 h.p. out of 350 cheby HA! HA !HA!IS YOUR FREIND GOING TO STRAP A NUCLIER POWER PLANT TO THE HOOD!!!Then run like hell when he go's to start it!!BUY the way is your freind a girl? Maybe SHE use to be a MAN!Point him to the JERRY SPRINGER show.,MOPAR OR NO CAR.
Old 12-25-1999, 10:35 PM
Inactive User

Your buddy is absolutely correct!!
Putting a 350 into a charger is undoubtably
the cheapest way to go.
Where the expense comes in though is in the
recovery operation to pluck one off the
ocean floor and cut off the broken anchor
chain,debarnicle,e.t.c.
Too bad your buddy wont be around the next
time the comet comes by.Would've been nice
if he had a second chance to get on..
Old 12-26-1999, 04:44 PM
Inactive User

My wife put it best: WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT? I live in the middle of Shivyville (East Tennessee). For me 383's and 400's are really cheap to come by. All of the red-necks grab the 350's every time they hit the bone yard but leave all of the BB chryslers alone. (execpt 440's. Even red necks respect the 440.) A 383 is bullit proof. Tell your "friend" to build a 383 or 400. If he has his heart set on a 350, then give the charger to someone who will keep it all mopar.
Old 12-27-1999, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Well all i can say is this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of
Old 12-27-1999, 03:36 AM
Inactive User

I think that the y2k bomb has gone off early in your buddies head! This idea is total madness!
Old 12-27-1999, 04:28 AM
Inactive User

That is the most dumbist thing I ever heard why waist the chjarger. take the 350 to the nearest junk yard and then sell the Charger because anyone who want's to put a chevy motor in a mopar doesn't deserve to have a mopar.
Old 12-27-1999, 05:24 AM
Inactive User

Your "friend" should realize it will be much harder getting RELIABLE 600 HP figures from a SB 350 Shimmy than it would be to mount the damn thing! Has he been reading HotRod magazine again? It will ALWAYS be easier (and cheaper) to increase HP numbers if you start with a larger displacement engine, especially if that engine was designed better, such as the Chrysler 383. (33+ more ci right from the start!) Mounting the "Self-Destructo" Chevy engine is the easy part. You position the thing in the engine bay, hold it in place with the hoist and weld in a few brackets. CAKE! The big question is, can a 350 even make 600 HP for longer than 15 or 20 minutes? Remember the old saying: "There is no substitute for Cubic Inches!" And most importantly,
"There is absolutely no substitute for Mopar!" Period.
Old 12-27-1999, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I find the reactions to this post even more creative and amusing than the one's I received from Chevy and Datsun purists last summer(when I posted my intent to install a 460 Lincoln motor in my 40 Chev PU, and the '67 327 from the pickup into a Datsun 280ZX.) Would have done that too, except I stumbled across another 50's-era Ford that needed that 460 worse than the Chevy, so what to do for a replacement motor for the PU? Well, my neighbor just sold me a very good Fury 440 w/4v he had no use for, but thought I might want as a spare engine for my Powerwagon (he also knows I have a weakness for old big-block motors..) But, I had already decided before Christmas that the motor is going into the '40 Chev PU (which 20 years ago did have a small block Mopar drivetrain). That combo really annoyed people too...) But, as another reply already indicated, it's a virtual certainty that nobody would want a 350 Chevy-powered Charger. That combo really is a more repulsive idea for a swap than anything I have so-far come up with, and even I wouldn't do that one. There is such a thing as going too far...
Old 12-27-1999, 11:05 PM
Moderate anarchist

Hey,

I had a Chevy 350 in my 72 Dart. In the trunk that is. Worked out a deal with someone who needed a running Chevy truck and ahd no cash. I get the truck running (swapped out a dead 305 for the 350) and I get a 76 400 powered Cordoba. I bought a running 350 from a boneyard and swapped it in. That is the only time I ever bought a Chevy motor. Wadda ya think? good deal?

Steve