Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-13-2002, 01:25 PM
Inactive User

cageman Wins!

In a dominating performance cageman won on friday. Mopars took first and second out of about 28 bombers. Nice job John.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Inactive User

Congratulations

Congrats to Cageman. Was this the car you were having so much trouble with? Like to see a picture of a Mopar in victory lane. Can you post a picture?
Old 07-18-2002, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

Last friday was the beginning of a long week so far. I won my first race in Mandan on a hobby special of 37 cars, Then I went to minot and won from the 6th row outside, went high with three laps to go and passed 8 guys for the lead. sunday in minot I stated pole and won it again, Mon I went to Estevan SK and the oil pressure line sprung a leak and I didnt get it fixed in time for the start and got a DNS. Back to the USA tuesday in Williston and I won the trophey dash and Feature and got a 25$ bonus for that. Wed I went to I8U'S hometrack in Dickinson and started 6th row outside and in a few laps I ended up getting involved in a rollover(NOT ME), the guy I was passing for fourth broke an axle and he spun into me and he rolled over and I launched through the air when I ran over his tire, fender damage and hood crinkle is all I got. I finished fourth in a shortened race but I was gaining on the leaders. Thurs I' m back in my hometown and trying to repeat what started the whole trip. It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of really nice peopl along the way and I ran on Mc Crearys like the mods run and I liked those too. Every night was a new bunch of drivers I raced against so that was fun too. It sure feels good to win 4 in a row, Now my buddies say I need a bigger helmet, LOL
The car worked almost flawlessly the whole time and the seat time really helps too, I kind of like racing full time.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Heres one, nice hair, It was hot and I didnt much care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minot win #1.jpg (37.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-18-2002, 04:09 AM
Inactive User

Hers my third win out of 4 this week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minot win #2.jpg (38.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 07-19-2002, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Default Go Wing?

Cageman, is that a "Go Wing" rear spoiler? Looks good, does it work like a regular spoiler? They look cool.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Yeah its a go wing, I had to take it off because everyone said its cheating, It is perfectly flat and weighs 30 pounds at least, There is a 1/8 mile drag track next to minots circle track and a guy was racing an Identical car to mine, It was blue with the same scoops and spoiler and it also had the super bee stripe, he came over and I had to explain for the ten thous time that it was not a real super bee, thats what is fun about traveling around for sven days racing.
last night I led the first four laps and My motor mount broke and when it would set down again it would shift into drive and I lost the lead and was in third, when I went to pass second again I got on the gas a little hard to soon and hung her out side ways, I ended up in 8th spot and work back up to 5th, Car is still fast and I have 31 nights on the ol 360 now.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:29 AM
Inactive User

Cageman, racing in Sask. is almost like being in my backyard. Still a few hrs away, but made me realize that your are pretty close. i am shocked that you have 31 race nights on that 360. Have you done alot of mods to your oiling system. Did you make it extra loose or anything. i am looking for a recipe to get a 360 to last more then 1 night. I have always believed the small block dodge to be king, but after the last couple yrs I am starting to believe them to be sh**. At least on the oval. Running between 4 and 6 grand should not be to much to ask out of an engine. I have to be dong something wrong, but can't find any good answers to try. Btw do you use a standard oil pickup or something else, I have read about some that can move in the pan and sortof float on the bottom. Sure nice to hear of your success, hope you have more good news to post after this weekend. Good Racing
Old 07-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Inactive User

Default Oil Pressure

Reg, Do you watch the oil pressure when you are accelerating? When I ran my street stock I couldn't keep oil in the center sump. I put baffles in the pan but it didn't seem to help much. I finally went to a Moroso oil accumulator and that solved my problems. I have talked to several others that run street/bomber cars and they claim they don't have any trouble but I always did.

Kevco makes a stock sump oil pan. If I went back to a street car I would buy one.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

As for the bottem end I have no Idea on what was done, I know that my uncle had many hours cleaning the block and cleaning out the inside of the block to make it smooth, I built a pan for it, I just made a baffle that had a hole big enough for the pickup to go thru. I dont even have a windage tray in this motor.
I remeber him telling me about the clearences of the bearings, he said that they were set to a daily driver spec, we also used a smaller bearing under the oil pump and it was a full groove too.
Im no expert on motors, I built the whole car by myself except for the tranny and short block
I run an extra quart of oil in the motor too, that way whatever is in the right valve cover can stay there for all I care, It still has 6 quarts by the pickup tube.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

well sure happy things are working for you and thanks for the reply. As far as my oil pressure when Acc. I have tried to watch it and it like60-70lbs. That was the last day of racing this yr. I put another crank, and bearing in the engine and took out the high volumn pump, put a stock one back in which actaully had more pressure on the gauge. Started out with almost 100 then after warm it sat about 60-70 then after a heat it would be about 30-40 at idle. Coming off the track though my lifters were really noisy the last 2 races. I am shut down now till i can find something to change. I had 9qts of oil in it. there should have been some there for the pump to suck on. This thing eats bearings faster then my kids go through milk.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Reg, here's an oddball question: what compression are you running, and what octane fuel do you use? The reason I ask is I had a friend running a Chevy 350 @ about 12:1. He had 2 seasons of headaches, between trashing bearings and eventually melting pistons. He finally discovered the 94 octane pump gas he had been using was not sufficent. Mixing it 50% with 100 octane gas helped a bunch. He had also performed quite a few oiling mods, but nothing helped as much as reducing the detonation.

Interestingly, the 1st show of the third season w/this motor, it threw a rod through the block; so he built an 11:1 327, and started running consistently and winning races.

Don't know if any of this applies to you, but it cost me nothing to offer, so I did.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

well without a lot of testing I'm not sure what comp. i'm running. I have a stock 360 that i bored over 30 and put flat top pistons in. I am running a set of heads of a 1970 360 that I destroyed a few engines ago, and the heads are pretty much stock. Don't think theyve been shaved at all. the intake fits np anyway. I'm running a stock holley 2 brl. I had another guy mention somthing about detonation on the dodge but kinda didn't know what to do about it anyway. I was running about 30deg advance. max This was happening to any engine i put out there, weather its was an old oil burner from the yards or a new rebuilt. Thanks for the info, the answer has to be in this mess somewhere.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

Well, it doesn't sound like you have a radical engine, or that you're turning a lot of RPM. I'm really no expert, but judging by the number of posts from other racers using the 360 w/o much trouble, it would seem the problem is specific to your situation. And if its happening with any engine you throw at it, new or old, I would tend to think the problem is outside the engine itself. Maybe something off the wall like the wrong balancer or flywheel/flexplate; although if during your last race your lifters got wasted, but the motor was still running, that sounds more like oiling problems; unless you're getting hot, which would play havoc on everything.

Since we're at the bottom of an unrelated thread, why don't you post a new topic and see if you can get some help from the folks who are really in the know. The answer is in there somewhere. You will probably have to provide a lot of info on your specific situation, but that's how things get sorted out. You just need to get together with all the brain power that frequents this board.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

You may need to drill out the oil passages from the main bearing to the main oil gallery (NOT the ones to the cam bearings!!). A lot of times, the diameter you see at the bearing saddle isn't the same all the way up to the gallery. Just be careful you don't break the drill off in there!