Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Inactive User

Default vibration from 90 to 110 68 charger 383 4speed balanced help!!

Hi i have a 68 charger ive been fighting a vibration in for a while i has a fresh 383 thats baleced 10.5 comp 501 comp cam 383 torker int 906 heads 2" super comps 750 vac sec holley this vibrayion was there before the gine was gone through ive had different gears in and out had drive shaft balenced nothing seems to change it nothing seems to be rubbing either it has 2.5 tti exhast 225 70 14 bfgs the weird part of this is that it starts at about 90 mph and is smooth as glass again at 110mph any help would be greatly appreciated only thing else i can think posible would be the slip yoke on the drive shaft thanks Brian
Old 07-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

only things that i can think of may be the u-joints, the tires are out of balance (most are only balanced to 80 or so), or you may have something loose in the front end. sorry i cant be more specific, but it h0onestly sounds like a chassis proble, not an engine problem.
mike
Old 07-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

Most transitional vibration problems, like you have, are due to tire imbalance. To check for worn front end parts, when it starts to shake, gently apply the brakes to see if the shake goes away - if it goes away, it is likely to be worn front end or chassis parts.

Also, the next time you do it, try to pay attention to whether it is the steering wheel shaking or if you feel it more in your butt. Steering wheel = front end, butt = rear end or chassis parts.

You've done everything right, so far. Find a shop that dynamically balances your tires and wheels while they are on the car - this will be hard to find. When you find them, have them check for
run-out on the tires as well as the wheels. You can do this yourself if you have access to a solidly mounted dial indicator.

You could also have any one of a number of tire problems - like a shifted belt, or a separation.
Old 07-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

thanks for everything so far guys every thing in front end and chassis is new torsion bars leaf springs kyb shocks tie rod ends ball joints brakes drums turned all 4 front bearings new rears look great bushings are poly graphite gine mounts are new tires are new 3 days ago trans mount is new and urethane u joints are about a year but did not chage when replaced seems to be worse going down a hill vs going up one like drive line is held tight cause of the added load of going up a hill well ant thing else would be great i know of a plase that will balence on car ill call them tommorow thanks again Brian
Old 07-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Is the shake felt mostly in your hands or in your butt or all over?

I have no idea about the uphill vs. downhill. That's new to me, but I see your point. I think that would point to the rear axle or drive shaft... maybe.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

the vibration is felt mostly in the seat
Old 07-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Inactive User

HOW ABOUT A REAR BRAKE DRUM IF A WEIGHT FELL OFF WILL THAT CASE THIS?
Old 07-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Banned

An overtightened U-joint saddle that ovals the bearing cup will cause that down hill vibrato.....when your going down hill it adds to the negative pinion angle causing the oval shaped cup to rear it's ugly head. Saddles are to be tightened to 15 pounds only, most U-Joint failures are caused by overtightning.