Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Questions on Holley Model 1920 from a '68 Dart

Hi folks. I just joined to ask a few questions. I am helping a friend with her '68 Dart. Her carb was dripping gas from around the float bowl when she started it the other day (It hasn't been run in many months, BTW). I couldn't get all the bowl screws off while it was on the engine, so I just removed the whole carb and took it home. That "6-o'clock" screw eventually required the use of vice-grips to get it out. But anyway... Here's my questions...

Question 1-
It has these numbers stamped on the top of the fuel chamber:

Can anyone tell me if this is an OEM carb?

Question 2-
Did these carbs come with built-in return springs on the throttle shaft like most carbs do? This one has no such spring.

Question 3-
There's a little hole on the left side (if it were mounted correctly in the car) of the throttle barrel that angles downward. It goes from the outside air to just above the throttle plate. Is this, uh, normal?? I've never seen anything like this before.

Question 4-
This carb's float bowl baffle plate is missing. Is that a big deal? Also, how much side-to-side play in the throttle shaft is acceptable? This one seems a tad sloppy, but is that okay

Question 5-
I was originally just going to replace the bowl gasket but I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit from Kragen because it looks like this carb needs more than that. Does it sound like this carb is worth rebuilding?

Thanks,

Patrick
San Diego, CA
Old 07-22-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

PATRICK
I HAVE A 66' CORONET WITH THE SAME CARB. AND SAME PARTICULARS YOU DESRCIBED, ALTHOUGH MINE DOES HAVE A BAFFLE PLATE. AS FOR THE HOLE DRILLED IN THE SIDE, I'M NOT SURE WHAT PURPOSE IT SERVES. MINE HAS THE SAME HOLE. THE THROTTLE SHAFT ON MINE IS SLOPPY BUT DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER. THERE ISN'T A SPRING A SPRING ON THE THROTTLE SHAFT EITHER. THE SPRING THAT ATTACHES TO THE INTAKE RETURNS THE THROTTLE TO THE CLOSED POSITION.
JOEL