Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Inactive User

Question Starting off here with a question. Gooseneck hookup weld or bolt in?

First off, im new here and not near as big a dodge person as i am a ford person, but i still like them.
On to my question

My dad bought his 02 3/4 ton a couple weeks ago, and is planning on installing a gooseneck on it. One company that installs them claims that welding it in onto the frame voids the warrenty. Something about it can damage the computer or something, so they weld everything togather and bolt it into the frame. Other companies claim it doesn't void it and they weld. If its ok to weld, we can do it ourselves. The salesman (at Henson for locals) wasn't sure. Whats the scoop?

Also any recomendations on pepping up my 92? Air filter, injectors,??? what?

thanks guys.
-Jason
Old 07-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Inactive User

Don't weld on any frame, it creates weak spots. Bolt it in with good american bolts- grade 8.
go to TST's web sit and you can down load the instuctions for turning up the fuel in that rotary pump. Real easy! try 1/2 turn in for your first try.
The cummins likes the timing set around 15-16 not the lazy 10-12 we get from the factory.

fox
Old 07-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

I would not weld the hitch in. For a couple of reasons, one, it's possible to cause damage to the computer/electronics. And it does say (owners manual ?) not to weld on the frame.

Also, when bolting the hitch in, don't drill in the radius of the top or bottom of the frame rail, stay 2" or so from the top and bottom of the frame.

I could be mistaken, but I think the B&W turnover ball uses factory holes to mount up. You've just gotta cut the hole in the bed floor. A couple of friends have this hitch and it seems to be a good item. Folds down out of sight when not inuse, and is rated at a reasonable high level needed to handle real work.

Good luck, Ronnie

PS, good advise on the pump fuel and timing. If you do turn things up, add gauges first, EGT and boost usually suffice.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Ditto....

on the above advice. As for your admitted Ford weakness, a visit to your local Dodge dealer will begin the 12 steps to mental health. If that doesn't convince you, the new 5.7L hemi will. One month behind the wheel of the Cummins will convince you that you've died and gone to heaven.
Ron