Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-18-2002, 02:44 AM
Inactive User

Default Teflon piston pin caps/retainers

Anyone know where to get teflon piston pin caps for a 318? I have Eagle H-beam rods and TRW Forged Pistons, but the pistons are for pressed pin and the rods are for floating pin. Since I'm having difficulty getting the grooves for spirolox milled, I heard someone say "Put Teflon caps in ém" I've been searchin'the net but have only been able to find ém for VW'
Old 07-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Default teflon

I don`t have the info your looking for. But if it were me Iwould check with some of the different piston manufacturers. suuch as keith Black,ross,hypertech andsilvolite to name a few. It may also help you to no that Trw has been sold to fedral mogal . If you want info on trw parts you must contact fed;mog; hope it helps. happy trails.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Dirty Dan. I'm gonna contact some of the manufacturers and see if they can help.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Cutting the grooves for spiral locks is no big deal! The machinist makes a mandrel to go in the lathe. Turn down one end about .001" smaller than the pin. Make the turned down portion .250" shorter than the pin. Drill and tap the turned down end to take a NPT thread AND slit that end into quarters about 1" up the mandrel. When you tighten a flat pipe plug in the mandrel, you expand that end of the mandrel. When you slip the piston over the turned down section and tighten the plug you lock the piston to the mandrel. Run the lathe in backgear(slow) to cut the lock groove with the cutting tool.

I just made one for a customer a couple of weeks ago-It takes about 2 hours to make the mandrel and about 30 minutes to cut all the lock grooves.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Inactive User

I'm printing this procedure and taking it, along with the pistons, to the machine shop. This was exactly the problem we were having, holding the pistons. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin time for aircraft parts!

Those teflon caps are in EVERY piston aircraft engine. Do you have a local airport with a repair station? if so go ask the guys that work on the piston engine airplanes. if they rebuild em, they will have the caps! if they dont, they will Know where to get them.
All I work on, is Learjets, so we dont have any caps.
If you still need some and cant find any, let me know, here on this post (I will subscribe) and I will get/make you some
Obviosly I would have to have some specs first
5th
Old 07-22-2002, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

"Rube Goldberg rides again!" Rube is one of the guys that hang around my shop-along with "Murphy". Murphy's law is very simple-"What can go wrong will go wrong". Rube is pretty slick; but, is constantly being shot down by Murphy .