Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Holey carb/ 6 pak adjustment woes! HELP!

So, I have a 496 stroker, big roller cam (.660 lift, .29somethign duration), Indy heads, SIX PAK.

I had the car running fine, idled ok, not great. I was having a problem with floats getting overrun, and basically flooding the car big time. I fixed the floats, still had it idling/running fine. Then I was trying the nitrous system, just armed it and tapped it to see if it was ready to go. I think a nitrous solenoid then locked open, the cardid soem wierd really lean stuff and then died. The nitrous was still flowing, all the foggers iced up really cold. I shut the bottle off obviously and let it sit for awhile then started it up. Sometime during all of this setting of floats, nitrous mishap, etc. I F**ked something up.

Now, it won't idle AT ALL, barely cruises. No matter how high I turn the idle up, it won't idle - no rich/lean adjustmen seems to make any difference. I have checked the floats, they seem fine - not flooding. In fact it seems like the opposite like I'm not getting any gas - the only way to keep it running is to keep tapping the gas - using the squirters I assume and/or keep my foot on it a bit.
It barely goes down the road at part throttle, runs like a car running out of gas. Heres the strange part - if I floor it, it goes fine, great power, smooth, like nothing is wrong! Just no idle/part throttle...

Any suggestions/ideas?
Old 07-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

aren't you supposed to tap it w/the NOS bottle OFF?? in my instructions it says to:
Preparing for operation
1. turn on fuel pump
2. check all fuel lines and fittings for leaks
3. Start the engine
4. Turn the arming toggle switch on. Set the engine speed at 2000 RPM. Briefly depress the activation arm on the microswitch. Engine speed should decrease if the fuel delivery system is performing properly.
5. open nitrous bottle valve
NOTE: there should be no change in the engine idle speed.
6. inspect nitrous lines and fittings for leaks
7. ENJOY!

if it was pinging real bad and died w/NOS still flowing, the only thing i can think of is either pistons or plugs... did you check the plugs? my instructions also says:

Don't:
engage your nitrous system with the engine off. Severe damage can occur
If nitrous is accidentally injected into the engine when it is not running, remove the engine coil wire, open the throttle and crank the engine 10-15 seconds before starting. Failure to do so can result in an explosive engine failure.

i copied these right out of my NOS instruction book... first thing i would check is the plugs...i'm not sure though...could be sumthin else like the pistons or rings...
Old 07-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

I did exactly that, fuel part was wrorking fine, its when I came to the part of opening the bottle, then trying it with nitrous that the solenoid then stuck open when I let off the button. It knocked a little, acted wierd, and I shut it off immediately.

Like I said, funniest part is it runs fine/strong at full throttle. Acts a lot like its not getting any gas at idle or little throttle until I get into the main jets. I was thinking either I have a massive vaccum leak maybe or could I have the floats too low?
Old 07-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

if your car is not idleling good esp. when it is in gear then you have a problem with your idle circuit on the center carb. pull carb off of the car and make sure the idle circuit is not partically pluged. look and see if the butterflies are positioned above the idle circuit holes. if not , make adjustments. if the idle circuits have any restrictions at all your car will idle bad to worse. i guess it's an automatic.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:43 AM

Check your plugs, they are probably wasted. I would also run a compression test and a leak down test, just to make sure that the pistons, rings, and valves are alright.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

Put new plugs in it, the old ones were black fouled bad probably from when it was flooding. No difference really with the new plugs. Its an auto, won't idle in neutral/park even, no matter how high I turn the idle up....

I will comp test it, but it shows no sign of any damage when under more than half throttle it takes off, same amount of power as before, smooth, no misfiring - no smoke, noise, nothing out of the ordinary. Its like just the idle/part throttle circuits aren't working. trying to cruise down the road at very little throttle it surges, etc. just like a car that is almost out of gas, then if I punch it it takes off fine...
Old 07-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

My cam duration is 296 intake, 304 exhaust... I am starting to wonder if I never really had it idling right, if it just happened to idle before only because I was overrunning the floats.

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

hmm...sorry...no idea... are your air/fuel adjustments correct? are the floats clogged or stuck?

just sumthin to chew on...i've never dealt w/the six pack carbs before.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Inactive User

Pulled the center carb - chunks of shit in both main jets is the verdict. Cleaned it all out really good, runs great now. My guess is the center carb was barely working, when I floored it and brought in the end ones was the only time it ran ok.

Big question is where did the chunks come from? They were kinda hard like chunks of plastic or rubber whiteish yellowish color??? Could it be hardened gasoline crud from storage? Don't know - I have a good filter (BG) so I can't figure out where they came from.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

maybe its FROM the filter....or maybe it was in front of the filter, lodged, then just broke loose.

glad to hear its running! hows it run w/the NOS activated?

BTW: how much NOS are you runnin through it?
Old 07-21-2002, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

I still haven't fixed the nitrous problem yet. I have to get a NO2 solenoid. I plan on a tame 150 shot for now, I have up to 300 HP jets for the fogger system.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

cool. is the fogger system a wet system?? i'm starting out with 180 shot, its a Holley V8 Competition Cheater system. max is 250 shot with the jets i have... dad said with my motor, he will only use the wet systems cause its not AS hard on the motor as a dry system.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Its a wet system.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

sweet

is it the kind that is like a "Y" that goes right into the intake? like direct port kinda? those are freakin sweet!

do you have any pictures? i'd love to see it...
Old 07-22-2002, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

Yes is the Y direct port - I have 8 nozzles, one in each runner. Its a plumbers dream....
Old 07-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

those are sweet! i know a guy that has an old ford coupe, don't know the year but its a 30's model... he dropped the top so the window's are only around 5-6" tall...nice paint! he put a 503 Roddec in it, and the Y fogger setup w/400 shot of NOS....he's just never put the bottle in yet... scares him as it is