Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-09-2000, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

Question

Ok guys this is a question i have been asked befor and i cant find any good facts on it ???

I know in 1967 R/T stood for Road and track... But in 1968 or 69 Chrylser changed it to Rapid Transit? Does any one know when exactly, and why thay did this ???

Thanks Moparformances

------------------
............Mopar or no car............
Please check out my web page for other Mopar links and cars for sale
Old 03-10-2000, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Plymouth had what they called the Rapid Transit System. If I remember right, 1970 was the first year for it; at least it was heavily promoted that year with some really cool psychedelic ads. It referred to all Plymouth muscle cars. Dodge had its Scat Pack counterpart to Plymouth's Rapid Transit System. As far as I know, R/T always stood for Road and Track.
Old 03-10-2000, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

Question

Thanks for your reply hemi 1

But if i rember correct I.... Think I saw a Dodge ad or two that had Rapid Transit in the that ad ??? (but i could be wrong )

------------------
Old 03-10-2000, 02:19 PM
Inactive User

Well, I have to double check my memory sometimes because it ain't what it used to be. But looking through my old mags and dealer brochures, what I see is that the typical Plymouth ads for 1970 had five cars (Duster 340, GTX, Road Runner, Cuda and Fury GT) within a sort of ball of fire, with "Rapid Transit System" in huge letters at the top and "Plymouth Makes It" on the bottom. The Dodge ads say "Dodge Announces Scat City" followed by "The '70 Dodge Scat Pack is road ready." The Dodge ads also have five cars: Challenger R/T, Charger R/T, Coronet R/T, Super Bee and Dart Swinger 340.

Not to say there is no Dodge ad anywhere that doesn't say "rapid transit" somewhere in it. It's just a descriptive phrase, and some ad person could have used it before 1970 to describe a Dodge. I know of at least one example in which a name we usually associate with Plymouth was used as a descriptive phrase in a Dodge ad: in the April 1967 issue of Hot Rod magazine, there's an ad for the 67 R/T which describes it as a "road runner." This of course was a year before Plymouth's Road Runner was introduced as a Plymouth model and, notwithstanding the ad, there was never an actual Dodge "Road Runner" model.
Old 03-10-2000, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Yes im very familiar with the 67
Coronet (Road Runner) ad u are
refering to (I personaly own 2
67 Coronet R/Ts)

Thanks for all your help on this

If any one has any Dodge ads that
say Rapid Tranit in tham?? Please
post it here for me

Thanks Moparformances

------------------
Old 03-11-2000, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

I just looked at every issue of Hot Rod Magazine from September 1967 through September 1969, which would cover the 68-69 model years. There were many Dodge ads, but none of them referred to R/T as meaning Rapid Transit.

I don't happen to have a 69 Dodge dealer brochure, but I do have a 68 Coronet dealer brochure, which states: "And if you're wondering what R/T means, let us explain. The 'R' means 'Road,' and the 'T' means 'Track'--and we'll let you draw your own conclusions about that."

I'm old enough to remember when all these cars were new and I have a lot of old car magazines and other automobile literature. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing that "R/T" ever meant "Rapid Transit" or anything but "Road and Track."
66 Barracuda 225
65 Barracuda 340* 4-speed
64 Polara convertible 383 4 bbl
63 Valiant convertible 225
59 Dodge Custom Sierra 361 4 bbl

* not original motor
Old 03-11-2000, 02:55 AM
Inactive User

From what I understand, the Rapid Transit System was a series of show/concept/futuristic fantasy cars used to promote Plymouth's image at auto shows. R/T (badge used only by Dodge) has always stood for "Road & Track". I have plenty of road tests of new (for then) Dodge Chargers and Challengers, and it clearly states what R/T stands for.
So, in summary, Rapid Transit was a series of Plymouth's futuristic show cars, and R/T (Road & Track)was Dodge's label for it's high performance autos.
I am %95.99 sure about this. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-11-2000, 04:03 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all your info guys I really appericate it allot.. I must have been misinformed about it

Hey we all cant be right all the time

------------------