Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

Help 67 cuda disk brake swap.

Anyone know exactly who offers a complete new disk brake swap set up for my 67 barracuda. I have found others offering them for 68's and 69's, but not 67's. I guess there is a difference or are they all the same?
The car is completely stock at the moment with a 273 and 14 inch wheels. I want to convert to fifteen inchers and disks all around, but I havent found a larger rear for the car yet.
A complete disk brake kit is my ultimate wish, but I guess I could piece together if I had to.
Any advise is welcome.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Wilwood, from hotrodshop.com, for about $650 for each end of the car. Very complete - including adjustable proportioning valve.

Put them on the '66 HELLFISH 'cuda and they work great.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Thanks doug.Much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

A lot of the guys on this forum recommend boneyard swaps to save money, But I really wanted something tricker and more efficient than stockers.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Does the kit come with spindles and such as well?
Old 07-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Everything you need.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

I just picked up a Wilwood front racing disc brake set up from the Nationals in Carlilse, PA. I have yet to put them on, but the kit is for 1966-1972 A-Body cars and it uses your drum spindle thats already on the car, with some special adapters that come in the kit. I'll have it all in with new lines and proportioning valve in a couple weeks, they're 4.5 inch bolt pattern also. Go to www.wilwood.com the kit I have is part # 140-2724 Good luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:54 AM
Inactive User

Wilwood stuff is designed for drag racing. It isn't what you want to run on a real street car although I suppose you could run them on a Pro Street type car. (hopefully you're not behind me though when those tiny rotors heat up and start to fade!)

For a real street car that sees rain, potholes, curbs,etc. go with MP brakes.

www.moparaction.com in the tech section has the best disc brake swap info written.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

Using the Mopar Action recommended conversion on all three of my A-bodies and they are fool proof under all driving conditions. A friend used the Wilwoods on a 68 Cuda with 440 conversion and they are not as efficient as the Mopar units and a pad change every 7.000 miles leaves something to be desired on a street driven machine. Just remember they are both conversions.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Well... I've heard a lot of people knock Wilwood that haven't tried them. I've tried them - on a canyon runner, no less - and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you have a problem with their disclaimer, call them up and ask about it.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Inactive User

Doug. What's a canyon runner?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

I have plenty of experience with the Wilwood stuff so I know better than to recommend it for anyone with a street car. Works great at the drag strip but there isn't enough thermal mass to stop a heavy street car multiple times.

Read all of the articles on that Mopar Action tech page at www.moparaction.com including the article on the race calipers. I'm the AndyF in that second article.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Inactive User

Okay Andy, you obviously know what you're talking about. But now I'm a little confused. It is clear that the Wilwood rotors would not do for road racing, but what about using the big 11.75" Mopar rotors with the Wilwood calipers and your adapters? Yes, the pads will wear out quickly, but will that setup withstand the hard usage of competition, or even spirited street driving? I was considering using your setup when I do my conversion, now I'm not so sure.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

It depends on the weight of the car. We do not sell, or recommend using Wilwood stuff on the street but people do it. The lighter the car is, the easier it is to get by with lightweight brakes.

We do have some customers who are road racing lightweight cars (/6 A body for instance) using the Wilwood caliper on the 11.75 rotor and it seems to work just fine. The 11.75 rotor has a lot of thermal mass so that is probably what allows it to work. It won't work on a heavy car, the Wilwoods will be toast in fairly short order.

Eberg upgraded the Green Brick from the Wilwoods on 11.75 to Viper calipers on the 11.75 rotors. That is a kit which I developed for him for the One Lap race. It worked out great so now we're going to start selling it. The Viper calipers are of course a DOT compliant street legal design. They are a much better caliper than the Wilwood but they are 4X as expensive.

My personal recommendation for any street driven Mopar is to use the factory 11.75/sliding caliper setup. If you have money to burn, or are driving really hard then step up to our Viper kit or the Baer stuff. Those are the only choices that I'm aware of that make sense. (Brembo sells a kit but it is $3500 so most guys aren't going to go that route)
Old 07-23-2002, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

so for my 71 duster 340 , that already has disc brakes 5x4 pattern, if I wana convert over to 5x41/2 front disc brakes, mp brake conversion kit is the way to go, it will work?.,has all you need? spindles so you dont have to go to junk yards?.I read in there ad that there kit comes with upper control arms , why? do you have to replace them? cause of the larger size bolt pattern? , ....... gunna do rear end axles also to 5x41/2, strange make those for a-body cars 8 3/4? I,m going to that moparaction info to see what it says too......... thanks guys

coolcarz
Old 07-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Inactive User

So what's a canyon runner anyways?
Damn, I'm an ...hole.