Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:41 AM
Inactive User

Default oil leaking

Hello all. I need a bit of help. I have a 69 Runner with 383, 4speed, 906 heads and hp manifolds. Everything built pretty much to stock. The car was COMPLETELY redone, ran great last year, but a couple gremlins poking their head out this year. The first is an oil leak coming from the right rear of the motor. The oil pan, rear main, mechanical and electrical oil pressure guage and valve covers are all dry. But you take her out for a drive and shut the car off, it pukes out oil from the inspection plate drain hole. And yes, its engine oil, not tranny oil. An ideas what it could be?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Default oil leak

How do you know the rear main is dry? If the oil is come in from inside the bell houseing rather then leaking down through it.There is only two places it could come from. One is the rear main seal,wich is most likely or the freez/oil plug behind the camshaft. wich is very un likely. Either way the engine and trans will have to be seperated to make propper inspection and repair. Are you SURE the leak is comeing from there? good luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:24 PM
Inactive User

Help

Dirty Dan - thanks for the quick reply. I don't think its the rear main because when taking off the inspection cover and looking up between the pressure plate and motor, you can see the rear main, which is dry. BUT the other side of pressure plate is soaked. Is it possible for a head to leak, drain between bell housing and motor and not cause any other problems other than leaking oil?
Old 07-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Inactive User

It is possible . But I have never seen a head leak as much as you indicate. usualy there isn`t hardly even enough to mess up fresh paint. Have another look for leaks up top. Find a small mirror and a good light. Look hard,If you don`t find it wipe your hand across the back of the heads to check for valve cover leaks. If you still don`t find it,then revert back to my last post. As for driveing it with a leak like that. Remember oil burns and exhaust pipes get very hot. Hope you find it on top.LOL
Old 07-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

Hay rguggisb, I thought I was the only one in the Mopar world with that problem,lol. I have a '70 440 CUDA 727. It will drip oil out the insection plate after you run it. Not a lot, about the size of dollar coin. I put two new seals in it. I machined .01 off the retainer the first time and then another .01 off the second time. I soaked the side strips in mineral sprits before putting them on the retainer. I used sealent on both halves of the seal in the retainer, on the bolt threads and the sides of the retainer. I checked the main seal surface on the crank and it's smooth and up to size. I even polished it. All to no good. It still leaks. The block is dry every place. I even jacked the car up took the cover off and ran the motor at about 2 grand and watched it DRIP!
Drove me freakin crazy!
So you know what I did? If I couldn't stop it, I thought I'd catch it. I know, it sounds dumb,lol. But I made a new inspection cover. It helps being a machinist for 30 years. I made it out of aluminum but hollow. Then inside I cut a piece of thick felt to act as a wick. Th oil drips down from the seal,along the inside of the block and instead of running down the inside of the cover,it drips on the felt and soaks in. I've had it on for about two months and no more drips on the floor. This week I'll take the cover off and replace the felt.
Until I can figure a way to stop it the right way, this will have to do. When you have a show winning car that I rebuilt every nut and bolt on, dripping oil is not what I want to see,lol Good luck