Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

Default ARP main studs

Does anybody else have clearence problems with the oil pump and the #5 main cap studs on your smallblock?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Banned

Yup...the're a cut to fit application....don't get 'em too hot
Old 07-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Inactive User

I had to cut the stud and take the die grinder to the oil pump to get enough clearence
Old 07-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

I had the same problem when I assembled my 340. I called ARP and they acted like they had never heard of the problem with smallblock Mopars. So upon further talking to them they sent me a bolt with a very shallow head to use under the oil pump. Problem solved. I don't understand why the Mopar kit doesn't come w/the bolt to begin with.
I just couldn't see cutting up a brand new ARP stud. There just had to be a better way.
It would really be nice to buy something that was researched,developed, and complete when you buy it.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:22 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
It would really be nice to buy something that was researched,developed, and complete when you buy it.
I know what you mean but we own Mopars not Furds or Chitbys so some companies don't think they have to make a better product for Mopars.That's one reason us Mopar guys are smarter because we have to come up with our own ways to engineer thing to make them work!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Banned

"Bolts right on"....the 4th biggest lie in the world.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Yes, I know, sometimes you really have to wonder, why do they sell the kit like this, it doesn't even fit right!!

Well, from my experience, a lot of times you have to put a kit together without ever seeing the application its going in, but trusting information you gather. I am sure ARP can't assemble every application they have a bolt kit for. And don't feel bad just because your Mopar application didn't fit and think its because you don't have a Ford or Chevy, this type of thing happens regardless of make or model of your car.

We try our best, and sometimes with very little information to go on, to but kits together, or make accomodations for all the models of cars we want the parts to fit. It doesn't always turn out that way, but I think snoop handled it the right way. The best way to make sure they know, is to give them a call and solve the problem. If everyone just grinds on the bolts and never tells ARP, then they will keep making it that way, but if people call in and inform them of the problem, then the kit will probably get corrected. I know, here at Edelbrock, the same type of thing happens. We put kits together making general assumptions and our years of experience. But mistakes are made, and a lot of times it is just very hard to know how a part/kit will fit in every application. The best thing is for you guys to call us if something just doesn't seem right, and then we will look into it. Of course, that only happens at companies that actually have good customer service!

Roger
Old 07-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

OK, Roger... here is one for you and Edelbrock. Did you know that the MOPAR small block RPM Air-Gap manifold will not fit on an engine(340) that has Edelbrock aluminum small chamber heads topped with Mopar Performance finned aluminum valve covers??

Solved it by grinding reliefs in the valve covers. Not really what one would expect from Edelbrock. The other approach would be, of course, to grind the manifold.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

Doug....

Yes, I am aware that the SB Mopars do have clearance issues with valve covers. Actually, I just learned that with doing the Super Victor prototype testing, that the valve covers were hitting the manifold, I don't know if that's why the stock manifold have a chamfer in that area of the manifold flange, or whether we are just taller than stock. To get around that we used a thick cork gasket, maybe even two on it, I'd have to check to see what the dyno dept did to make it fit.

I have that as one of my action items to look into to see if maybe we can change the casting or machining to add a relief in that area. Even with all Edelbrock parts we have that problem, using our heads, intake, and valve covers you will have clearance problems with the valve covers.

I guess I'll see if I can pull anyones leg to fix it!

Roger
Old 07-26-2002, 06:16 PM
Inactive User

Well I took off the #5 main and took it to my local machine shop and had them take .075" off of the flat surface where the nut sits and only had to do minimal grinding on the pump.This is the second motor that I have used ARP studs on and have @#$%%%^ up two out of three oil pumps that I have tried to put on.I decided to do it right this time!!!!